Insurance companies demanding money

bbjohnny

Inactive User
Reaction score
Just after a bit of advise please. I sold my motorbike around the time the insurance ran out, and didn't bother renewing. Intended to tell the insurance firm, but forgot, and just cancelled the direct debit. They renewed my insurance anyway because I didn't tell them not to, but now are coming after me for money they say I owe them. I kind of know I should have told them not to renew, which is why I'm only half hearted in my intention to argue the case that i didn't instruct them to renew. What do you reckon, take it on the chin and pay up, or argue the toss?

Cheers

Definately argue the toss. At the end of the day you sound like a genuine case and if you can produce proof of sale of the bike then they should be able to see this. Why pay for a service which you didn't use or want. The most I would settle for is a cancellation fee, definately not pay the lot.
Regards

Yeah, just spoke to a very helpful chap at the insurance company, and when I pointed out I didn't own the bike anymore he told me just to send proof in and they'd wipe the balance. Even gave me a month to do it before they sent the dogs after me. Which was handy,as obviously my very carefully filed away letter from the DVLA has vanished into thin air, and I've had to ask for a replacement. Still, the woman at the DVLA was very nice and helpful too, with a lovely welsh accent and girlish giggle!

Expected a morning of frustration and conflict on the phone, but instead spoke to helpful and friendly staff and had my problems resolved! Well done customer services people, you've made my day!

PS, Bennetts bike insurance come highly recommended!

hope you took his name and ext number mate, not often you speak to someone with common sense tbh.
next time it might be a different person and different response.
i always jot down the name , ext no, time of day and the date. then they can go back to the recording if there is any doubt.

Back