Installing dish

Mark_The_Yid

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Could somebody help me with a quick question please?

When installing a dish is there a general rule of thumb regarding the distance a dish needs to be from an obstruction in relation to the height of the obstruction (ie block of flats) ?

Cheers in advance.

only rule of thumb is making sure nothing is blocking line of site of the particular your after,some on here can only see from 28E to 1w others such as myself all along the clark belt in this neck of the woods 42e across to 45w

I have a 3 storey block of flats in the direction I want. I just wondered whether they are close enough to me to be in the way.

best post some pitcures m8 but if there is a sly mini dish that works ok on your house then i'd say you'd be ok,but best to post some pictures to be on the safe side

use this bit of software m8

type in the satellite you want, roughly how far the block is away from you and roughly how high and itll tell you exactly what angle the signal comes in on, how much skew on the lnb and if its blocked by the building

Satellite Look Angles

Hi there,

SHORT ANSWER
For rule of thumb, (for Sky only in southern UK) if the building is X feet/metres high and at least 2X feet/metres away from the dish you should be OK.

(MUCH) LONGER ANSWER
(For the UK) Satellites between about 40 deg East to 40 deg West are at elevations of 15-30 deg.
eg For london Sky (28.,2 Deg East), the elevation angle is about 24 deg.

The buildings will either block the signal or not (unless you are VERY unlucky)....though even then it might be blocked for some satellites and not others.

If you use that SMSlink software you can see the azimuth (east-west bearing) and elevation angles for various satellite positions (eg Sky on 28 deg east). For all practical purposes the difference between (azimuth) magnetic bearing and true north bearings can be ignored.

Use basic trig to calculate whether dish will be able to "see" the satellite you are after:

eg If Satellite is Sky/Astra 2 at 28.2E and dish location is 53N 1E:
Azimuth bearing is 147 Deg (ie roughly South East)
Elevation is 24.5 Deg
Estimate height of Building (on that bearing) relative to the dish =H
Estimate (or pace it out) distance of dish from building = L

If (180/PI)*arctan H/L > 25 degrees you should be OK for that particular satellite.....if I remembered my trig correctly.....which is unlikely!!!

Hope one answer or the other helps.

Back