Innovations & inventions

pinkhelmets

Inactive User
Reaction score
If you invent something you naturally think of registering it, so that you can protect your idea from being stolen. Safely & securely applying for patent is very expensive, especially worldwide patent, but recently I have discovered the bigger problem with the way patents work.

A great friend of mine invented a new innovation around 1 year ago. He spent a large amount on legal advice because its such a huge idea, and its been really difficult to progress and develop. I feel really privileged to be involved and I have learned loads from the experience though.

Anyway, 20th April the Patent was accepted and granted as 'Patent Pending' status. This means people are now able to get access to view these new ideas, and it also allows you to safely tell people because you have original rights. At this point I cant tell you all though because we have an important business meeting in Germany next week so I cant chance this site showing up with an internet search lol. :proud:

Now this is the problem.... On the 20th May, 1 month after a seriously major patent, a USA company using a chinese supplier began advertising a copy product :FRIGHT: It says 'pre-order' and wont be available until the 25th June, but for sure its a copy of the original device! Ferk thats fast turnaround! Even some of the wording used is a copy of our legal descriptive wording from the patent..... Main problem though is that its a rushed bodge-job, seriously under-developed and a bad interpretation of what is written on paper. Shapes have been altered so it looks different, but the patent covers 'the idea' so its irrelevant what it looks like. :)
They will still sell loads though, but because they are very dumb they dont realise what the big picture is ...yet. Our product is not ready for retail sales and the problem could be that this crappy un-developed version will make people think its rubbish even before they try the original! Although I guess time will fix that.

Big thing to learn is that when you register to protect innovations, be aware that people wait on the doorsteps of patent offices to steal the idea and cash in very quick. You have to register a patent to be protected by law, but it really means you give headstart to rogue dealers. Btw, lawsuits arent an option early on as they often end up £100,000+ investment, which is better spent on advertising & selling your own product.

my GCSE technology project was a bike alarm, i was interested in electronics, and had not long had my bike nicked from outside a shop, and at the time, electronics wasnt very understood.

i designed and built it, then a month before it was due to be marked, the teacher, my plans, and my prototype vanished

about 9 months later, you could buy a push bike alarm in shops

my GCSE technology project was a bike alarm, i was interested in electronics, and had not long had my bike nicked from outside a shop, and at the time, electronics wasnt very understood.

i designed and built it, then a month before it was due to be marked, the teacher, my plans, and my prototype vanished

about 9 months later, you could buy a push bike alarm in shops

Bet that was the only lesson you learned anything positive in then Digi. Wonder how many more Teachers have done the same.

Hope your going to keep us updated on this product Pinkhelmets be interesting to see where this all goes and what you have invented. Look forward to it.
Best of luck m8 hope it works out for you both in the business world.

thanks stevie1ball it is very relevant to this forum and almost every member here I'd say, so I will tell all oneday. I will also put a link to the bodge version soon.

On the subject of dodgy teachers and missing good stuff... I remembered earlier about a high quality chess set I made for my Art & Crafts qualification. It was red apples vs green apples.... the pawns were baby apples, then bigger apples had a bite out of, some were a complete apple core, then there were ones with a leaf too. Anyway, that was a great set I made by hand from clay all highly glossed/glazed effect, and that went missing! Crooks i tell ya! :)

Good Luck Lee, hope it pulls off for you, if not there's always Dragon's Den!

I have ideas and then a few months later I find the product, eg. a self chilling beer can. Thought about it ages ago, around the time they did the self warming coffee. Then found Miller had made one.

cant wait to see what you's have come up with when u deceide to reveal, good luck to you's whatever happens!!!

sorry to take it off topic but years ago,i used to get an innovations
catologue every three months or so does anyone know if they still
do these catologues

Can we guess?

Is it dog stilts?
You must work for that chinese-usa company... you must have inside info to guess correct first time :proud:

I dont know what that magazine is though? I know youget T3 and similar that show & review latest gadgets, but not sure I've seen an innovations/inventions mag, that would be cool.

As for dragons den, that was first consideration many months back before the legal stuff happened. You can submit online so you dont even need to go on tv. However, it quickly become apparent its not worth selling any part of the idea which is what would happen if you asked for investment from them. Money can make things go faster, but in the long run I think the idea will work well without large sums. I am looking forward to showing you guys as you are all direct target market ;) so it will be good to hear the good and bad comments.
More soon :)

I'm looking forward to seeing what you've come up with too!

As for the breach of patent so early in the products life, I suppose that goes to prove it's a good idea and a marketable product for someone else to put their money into it and risk the legal ramifications!
I suppose you can look forward to a successful law suit in the future for your pensions ;)
Hope it all works out for you mate.

Curly

Back