info on splitting connection

teg

Inactive User
Reaction score
hi peeps , problem i have is daughter wants tinternet on her pc . its in the same room and have been told to get a LINKSYS WRT54GSUK WIRELESS-G BROADBAND ROUTER WITH SPEEDBOOSTER or such like .its for use with a ntl broadband connection and was thinking about the aggro of setting up all this and still having to run firewall anti-virus etc . question to you chaps is whats the easiest cheapest way of her getting a connection if possible straight out the back of mine . maybe i could just clone my own modem and run a splitter etc. any help appreciated .

A wireless router is probably the easiest way really...unless you want to go 'wired', in which case you'll still really need a router. I assume your connected to your cable modem by ethernet cable? You could just plug the cable modem into a 'dumb hub' then attach your pc & the other to that. But it's not the most efficient way to do it.... a 'smart router' is better.

What do you mean by 'splitter'?? You can't split an ethernet connection as such without something like a hub or router..

cheers guys , i had the chance of another cheap modem so had a thought about just splitting the feed before the modem etc . running 2 modems off 1 feed . think i'll just stick to the wireless router and make sure i get anti virus etc etc sorted on the second pc as its for a young-un . is there any software out there that monitors download content or does the wireless stuff have half decent firewalls etc .

Alot of the routers available have a built in firewall with content filtering facilities built in, have a look at the specs...

try internet connection properties under security tab, i'm not sure how well this works tho'

if it is in the same room its easy all you have to do is have your main pc hooked up to your modem via usb then use a ethernet cable on your pc to link the other pc its that simple and cost is under a tenner
chrisclo

ps
you also have to install proxy which is free on the net to connect both

My advice is getting the LINKSYS WRT54GSUK WIRELESS-G BROADBAND ROUTER WITH SPEEDBOOSTER + USB Adapter all for ONLY £49.99 at PC WORLD. Great and Easy to set up.

1. From a cost point of view you can just use a crossover ethernet cable from your pc to hers.

Set up your modem on your pc using usb, connect the crossover cable from your NIC to hers. Run the network set up wizard on both pc's and select the appropriate settings.

The disadvantages of this set up is that you pc will have to be on to for your daughters pc to access the net.

2. A router is by far the best way to set the connection up. Most are simple to setup as they have auto configuration tools built in to the software (I use Dlink hardware for home installations)

With this setup both pcs can access the net without relying on the other to be switched on. There are wireless and wired options (Most wireless routers have about 4 wired ports as well)

3. U CANT clone your modem and then use it in the same ntl segment let alone the same house. Everytime one modem tries toonnect the other will be disconnected. If you can get a MAC address of a modem on the next segment then that will work (Never tried it as modems can communicate in and out and dont like the idea that one day ntl could just turn up at my door)

Back