increased upload coming to VM soon

oneman

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
I heard VM have started trialing increased upload to 50mb customers. Looks like it could be going up to 5mb.

Problem with VM is that they are always trialing something somewhere. Only a fraction of these trials ever materialise into real customer packages. A lot of the time I think they are just trying to see whats possible before they get problems !

5Meg upload would seem nice but its so far above what they offer now that it doesn't seem likely they will just give it away. I reckon its more likely they will simply double the upload across the board.

Hope i'm wrong mind !

i know but 5meg upload would be fantastic, imagine what you could do with it, it would make hosting from home somewhere near feasible i.e. small files etc etc, quite frankly the upload to download ratio is a joke.

Problem with VM is that they are always trialing something somewhere. Only a fraction of these trials ever materialise into real customer packages. A lot of the time I think they are just trying to see whats possible before they get problems !

5Meg upload would seem nice but its so far above what they offer now that it doesn't seem likely they will just give it away. I reckon its more likely they will simply double the upload across the board.

Hope i'm wrong mind !

Yeah, I was wondering if they are going to include it in their 100mb package.

i would love this to happen, would be so much easier to keep your ratio good ..bring it on i say ..

Spoke to my mate on the 100mb trial today, VM confirmed that 100mb service will be 10mb upload and 50mb service will be 5mb upload. No news on 20mb or 10mb service.

Also as expect, 100mb will be higher price, engineer said he didn't know how much higher but not a major increase and he thinks the 50mb to drop slightly. There will be a one off charge for the new media hub.

I would also expect caps on the 50mb service to encourage people to upgrade.

looks like they are going to manage the upstream of XXL (50meg) in the evenings !! there is ALWAYS a catch with these !!

faster_upload_table300910.jpg

I've just booked a install for next Tuesday, the upload is needed for photo's etc.
so this is gonna be very handy

Its worse, they are capping P2P and newsgroups between 5pm and midnight weekdays and midday to midnight at weekends.

Its worse, they are capping P2P and newsgroups between 5pm and midnight weekdays and midday to midnight at weekends.

How do they know what is newsgroup activity and what isn't?

If you encrypt your connections they can only go off port numbers alone surely?

So what if you're not using the standard ports?

from what i can read its upstream only that will be capped

Nope, definately downstream capping for P2P and usenet. It mentioned minimum 75% will allocated to other traffic, it could be the network is not saturated and you do get the full bandwidth for these two protocols, we will have to see.

As for how they are doing it,

Virgin Media to trial filesharing monitoring system ? The Register

P2P will be done via packet inspection.

My guess is that they also have a 'black list' of usenet servers IP addresses (maybe not their own) which will be throttled regardless of packet inspection, so even SSL won't save you.

Even if you find a way around it, reality is as soon as they spot a surge in traffic it will be easy for them analyse it, trace to source IP address, etc and then apply new rules.

there is no point in paying the high cost of 50mb if we can not use it ,so will just have to wait and see how bad it is ,i might move back to 20mb or 10mb, if i have to start downloading over night there is no point in paying the higher cost

there is no point in paying the high cost of 50mb if we can not use it ,so will just have to wait and see how bad it is ,i might move back to 20mb or 10mb, if i have to start downloading over night there is no point in paying the higher cost

I don't understand what you mean by the no point in having it if you can't use it. If if you did zero P2P and usenet between 5 and 12, that would still leave 300GB A DAY available during the other hours. Is that not enough ?

had it off 1 off the engineer that virgin by the end of the year beging trying 100 meg the up to 300 meg so lets wait n see if this materialise

im using newsgroups just now, i always get between 25 and 30meg over my wireless router. its never capped or shaped. newsgroups is the way!

im using newsgroups just now, i always get between 25 and 30meg over my wireless router. its never capped or shaped. newsgroups is the way!

newsgroups/usenet will be part of the traffic shapping when it starts.

my m8 got upgraded month back 5mb up on his 50mb
cant wait till get mine really need extra upload for streaming 3pm footy
Upload speeds

Back