Increase Your Bandwidth by 20%

Ph@ntom

Inactive User
Reaction score
I found this little gem!
And it works!

Windows uses 20% of your bandwidth! Get it back

A nice little tweak for XP. Microsoft reserve 20% of your available bandwidth for their own purposes
(suspect for updates and interrogating your machine etc..)

Here's how to get it back:

Click Start-->Run-->type "gpedit.msc" without the " "

This opens the group policy editor. Then go to:

Local Computer Policy-->
Computer Configuration-->
Administrative Templates-->
Network-->
QOS Packet Scheduler-->Limit Reservable Bandwidth

Double click on Limit Reservable bandwidth.
It will say it is not configured, but the truth is under the 'Explain' tab :

"By default, the Packet Scheduler limits the system to 20 percent of the bandwidth of a connection,
but you can use this setting to override the default."

So the trick is to ENABLE reservable bandwidth,
then set it to ZERO. This will allow the system to reserve nothing,
rather than the default 20%.

works on XP Pro, and 2000

other OS not tested.

this has been posted a couple of times b4, and im sure ive read also that if there is any increase in bandwidth it is nowhere near 20%, possibley none at all

h**p://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=92749&highlight=Increase+Your+Bandwidth

20% Internet Speed Gain Works

Wow. This is a gem of a tweek. Takes less than a minute to execute. Hi Hatab, I assure u thiss works like a dream. have noticed a great deal of improvement on my speed

Last edited:
From the horse's mouth:
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=316666 said:
Clarification about the use of QoS in end computers that are running Windows XP
As in Windows 2000, programs can take advantage of QoS through the QoS APIs in Windows XP. One hundred percent of the network bandwidth is available to be shared by all programs unless a program specifically requests priority bandwidth. This "reserved" bandwidth is still available to other programs unless the requesting program is sending data. By default, programs can reserve up to an aggregate bandwidth of 20 percent of the underlying link speed on each interface on an end computer. If the program that reserved the bandwidth is not sending sufficient data to use it, the unused part of the reserved bandwidth is available for other data flows on the same host.

For more information about the QoS Packet Scheduler, see Windows XP Help. Additional information about Windows 2000 QoS is available in the Windows 2000 technical library.

This has been around for a few years and I've used it on quite a few different machines and I've never once noticed any difference, maybe it is intended for dialup but it certainly made no difference to my broadband.

the way i read that is "don't bother messing with settings cos it wont be any faster"

Yes, i agree with hatab, infact i know this is correct as ive tried all these stupid little programs that claim to increase internet speeds, they are a load of ballocks, trust me, if you have broadband then your speeds will be as good as they get unless youve messed summit up.
My findings with some of these so called speed increase programs is that if you mess about with your settings and things too much it can actually slow your speed rather than increase it, as hatab says "leave it alone".

Iam sure these daft little programs might help dialup connections very slightly, but not broadband.

Hope this helps.

this tweak will not give you any more bandwidth,
by default windows dedicates 20% of available bandwidth for things like important windows stuff like windows update etc...
if windows is not using this bandwidth then it makes its dedicated 20% available for use by other applications anyway so theres not really any point in disabling it.
limiting it could actually do you some harm, if for instance you have overridden the system default QoS settings and it has no reserved bandwidth available and there are important security updates available, windows update might not be able to download and install the updates because another application is hogging all the available bandwidth.
in the meantime if the update happens to be a patch to fix an 0day exploit in windows you could find you have been hacked because the update patch was not downloaded and applied quickly enough :)

i agree with every one else ive tryed this and i didnt notice any speed increase wot so ever,so like the above post says your only messing with the default settings of windows which carnt be any good in the long run.

Great to see such posts BUT..

Great to see such posts BUT.. your network adapter is either a 10 or a 100 or even a 1000 Mbps then I doubt if your even using 0.5% of it on a regular basis - check out by doing a CTRL-ALT-DEL and move to the Task Manager Networking tab - I transferred 2gb over the network getting to a 60% utilisation but normal surfing never even gets above 1%. Maybe the change will work if your really moving large files around alot but otherwise if its not broken ... !

Its good info anyway so keep up the posts - if you don't like them then you can choose to ignore them but if no-one posted then we'd have no info...!

Cheers Keith.

Back