in need of some quick laptop help :)

solster

Inactive User
Reaction score
hey guys, ive been wirting a report for uni which is due end of this month and my laptop has knackered up, the backlight on the screen is dark as hell and u struggle to see the screen at all, so im guessing the inverter has had its days. does anyone know where i can buy a new one or the price of an inverter?

also, while im fixing it i thought i might as well get a new gfx card installed, so if anyone knows where i can get an MXM card or the price of one too, that would be grand!

cheers guys

Solster,

I know exactly what you mean. My fujitsu laptop did the same the invertor went on it, I use it as a desktop now just connected via a tft screen.
I don't think you can upgrade graphics card on laptops i may be wrong tho - what make and model it it...?

-Badaman

In most cases the GPU is soldered onto the MB so if it packs up the laptop is screwed.

hey guys,

its a dedicated Ati Radeon x1400 MXM gfx card. i know it can be upgraded i checked the alienware website, as its not intergrated to the motherboard, its dedicated and connected via MXM.

btw... the laptop is an Alienware m5550-R3

just under 2 years old.

Last edited:
Alienware, lol, not heard of them b4. Just checked them out, wholly owned subsidiary of Dell eh, Area 51 laptops, lmao!!! Nice touch. I expect they are rebadged dells? Who knows.

You should check out their website for support info. There might be authorised repairers also. When my tosh screen went, I got it repaired by a authorised repairer. Did cost me about £105 though.
Alienware got live chat help so it might be worth contacting them to see if they have any authorised repairers - that is if you want to get it done.

Regarding card, this applies to one model, there might be a similar thing for yours.

thanks guys, these websites have some nice info!!!!

im having an inverter fitted for 80 quid, might invest in the 8600 card also :) looks like i can fit it myself and save on labour costs too woot!

Back