in need of some quick laptop help :)

solster

Inactive User
Reaction score
hey guys, ive been wirting a report for uni which is due end of this month and my laptop has knackered up, the backlight on the screen is dark as hell and u struggle to see the screen at all, so im guessing the inverter has had its days. does anyone know where i can buy a new one or the price of an inverter?

also, while im fixing it i thought i might as well get a new gfx card installed, so if anyone knows where i can get an MXM card or the price of one too, that would be grand!

cheers guys

badaman

Inactive User
Reaction score
Solster,

I know exactly what you mean. My fujitsu laptop did the same the invertor went on it, I use it as a desktop now just connected via a tft screen.
I don't think you can upgrade graphics card on laptops i may be wrong tho - what make and model it it...?

-Badaman

Munkey

DW Regular
Reaction score
In most cases the GPU is soldered onto the MB so if it packs up the laptop is screwed.

solster

Inactive User
Reaction score
hey guys,

its a dedicated Ati Radeon x1400 MXM gfx card. i know it can be upgraded i checked the alienware website, as its not intergrated to the motherboard, its dedicated and connected via MXM.

btw... the laptop is an Alienware m5550-R3

just under 2 years old.

Last edited:

pks00

Inactive User
Reaction score
Alienware, lol, not heard of them b4. Just checked them out, wholly owned subsidiary of Dell eh, Area 51 laptops, lmao!!! Nice touch. I expect they are rebadged dells? Who knows.

You should check out their website for support info. There might be authorised repairers also. When my tosh screen went, I got it repaired by a authorised repairer. Did cost me about £105 though.
Alienware got live chat help so it might be worth contacting them to see if they have any authorised repairers - that is if you want to get it done.

Regarding card, this applies to one model, there might be a similar thing for yours.

little_pob

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score

solster

Inactive User
Reaction score
thanks guys, these websites have some nice info!!!!

im having an inverter fitted for 80 quid, might invest in the 8600 card also :) looks like i can fit it myself and save on labour costs too woot!

TEST