imaging or ghosting vista

Magnu420

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
ive a acer laptop with vista on it and i wanna put xp pro on,which ghosting or imaging software will allow me to take the exact copy of vista if i need to
put it back on at a later date,the lappy never came with a recovery disk,so thats why im looking into ghosting or imaging

thanks...

I feel dirty to say it but Norton Ghost will do the job.

Others u can look for is Acronis, easy backup.

Last edited:
Or a new HDD... a 250Gb 2.5" hard disk can be picked up for £55-70 dependant on make or if there are any offers on just need to check whether you need SATA or IDE.

That way you can just put the original one back in if it needs to go back to the reseller/manuf for a hardware failure or if you want to sell on at a later date. The replacement drive could then be used in an external caddy so wouldn't go to waste.

Vista ghosting issue

Just be careful.... not all ghosting software at the moment supports the GUID partitioning used by xp and can make the ghost image unbootable when laid back on to a new drive.

There are fixes for this which rewrites the partition table to point to the correct boot sector..... just something to be aware of. Can be confusing if you can't understand why your ghost image isn't working!

my bad!!!

doh... obviously meant "GUID partitioning used by vista"...NOT xp

Back