Im building a dream multimedia system...

For a 'brakeout' drive box, how about:
A cheap MATX case like: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/135582 (windows can be replaced, painted etc if you don't like them)
With one of these: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/144149 (you might need 2 depending on the mobo you go for)
Plus any cheap or old ATX/AT PSU

As mentioned you should be able to hack a USB cable to allow a card reader in that box also. Floppy USB is another option, as is IDE and SATA to USB adapters for further storage abilities.

@oneman I deleted my post as I wasn't sure if I was a bit rude...

Alternative touchscreens for your project available from here:
4:3: http://linitx.com/viewproduct.php?prodid=10554
16:9: http://linitx.com/viewproduct.php?prodid=10554

True, but I find old AT cases very difficult to find even at the local skip.

To be honest, ATX is not difficult to hot wire, just short the green cable with any of the black ones. I was thinking you could also put a USB card reader and other bits and pieces via USB hub and extension cable. That way you could hide the main noisy system with CPU fan, hdd, etc away and have silent one on display.

You could put together power supply extension from the main case and you would not even need a PSU in there.

true, but personally I wouldnt be too happy about doing that with all new kit when you can pick up a cheap AT PSU like these: http://search.ebay.co.uk/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=at+psu and use that instead..

well this box break out box is going into a cupboard when not use, I like the ebuyer matx posted on ebuyer but I think its going to be a problem, I like it becasue I can always turn it into a little auxiliary pc at a later date but baring in mind my mobo is going to have 2 esata ports on it how is that back plate going to plug into the esata port on back of media case? I have not actually seen one of these ports so imagine there is some male female orientation to them ? If its a case that it would just use a normal data cable then I think I'm am decided.

Btw, zalman case turned up today, got it for £370 delivered but I am not to happy as I would have expected a Psu at that price, any good cheap quiet ones around ?

well this box break out box is going into a cupboard when not use, I like the ebuyer matx posted on ebuyer but I think its going to be a problem, I like it becasue I can always turn it into a little auxiliary pc at a later date but baring in mind my mobo is going to have 2 esata ports on it how is that back plate going to plug into the esata port on back of media case? I have not actually seen one of these ports so imagine there is some male female orientation to them ? If its a case that it would just use a normal data cable then I think I'm am decided.
You plug the lead attached to the back plate into your drives - depending on the drive, either direct or through a sata to ide adapter - then use an esata cable to connect to the esata out on the mobo.

NB If using an older PSU in the breakout box, it may not have the required SATA power connections, in which case you'll need a couple of these: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/84334

Btw, zalman case turned up today, got it for £370 delivered but I am not to happy as I would have expected a Psu at that price, any good cheap quiet ones around ?

Corsair VX 550w with 5yr warranty for £45.77: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/132563

I've used a couple of these and they've always served me well: http://www.google.co.uk/products?q=hiper+PSU&show=dd

They come in a really nice tool-box as well which is useful for all your pc related bits and bobs plus they're modular which makes cable management nice and simple (although so's the corsair mentioned above I assume).

Right guys just tell me to butt out if I am out of order here as I have not read the thread, but that is a very nice board, may I ask why your opting for an old 1066mhz processor and a board that will let you do almost anything with it?

Your putting a good baord with a dated processor. You may as well save some cash and go for a cheaper but more competant board.

I have not read the thread so not sure if you need any special features from your board, but if you do then I would personally spend the little bit extra and a a Q9 series processor that runs at 1333mhz.

If you do not then stick with the Q6600 and drop down the price of the board as your probably wasting your cash on the blacjk pearl, this is the bees knees of boards mate, if you need it then get it, but also get a processor to satisfy it's needs.

If I have hit the wrong end of the stick then tell me to shut up, lol, normally I read all posts but just came across this one as I was glancing by.

ITA about the mismatch between CPU And motherboard but it does give room for future CPU upgrade. I still don't see the need for a need for such a processor or motherboard for a multimedia machine. If you want a games machine then why not spec the latest CPU to go with the high end motherboard.

BTW, I would still go with the gigabyte board over asus.

If you want to have a laugh, google 'asus gigabyte lawsuit'

Awwww....now its confusing time, i thought a quad core cpu was pretty cutting edge ??...what cpu would you suggest ?? baring in mind i donw want to be spending to much money on it. I was lead to believe that the asus was the brand to roll with...tbh, i have had a gigabyte board blow on me and for everyone that says gigabyte are crap one will say they are the best....whats so special about this black pearl board then ??

Awwww....now its confusing time, i thought a quad core cpu was pretty cutting edge ??...what cpu would you suggest ?? baring in mind i donw want to be spending to much money on it. I was lead to believe that the asus was the brand to roll with...tbh, i have had a gigabyte board blow on me and for everyone that says gigabyte are crap one will say they are the best....whats so special about this black pearl board then ??

Main differences between the two CPU you quoted are

- FSB speed. The quicker the better as you can run faster memory.
- Manufacturing. The second processor is built using 45nm technology = less heat and higher potential overclock.

Overall benchmarks are saying the Q9300 is slightly ahead compared to Q6600 but the real killer is that Q9300 can overclocked to 3.5GHz on standard cooler !

If going for a Q9***, the Q9*50s are the newer 45nm archiecture (although Q**70 are appearing in the expensive 'extreme' range).

Having said that, its a good price for that processor.

Worth noting that the Q6600 has been overclocked to 3.0Ghz @ 1333MHz on the stock heat sink and fan... although an aftermarket HSF will keep it cooler.

Main differences between the two CPU you quoted are

- FSB speed. The quicker the better as you can run faster memory.
- Manufacturing. The second processor is built using 45nm technology = less heat and higher potential overclock.

Overall benchmarks are saying the Q9300 is slightly ahead compared to Q6600 but the real killer is that Q9300 can overclocked to 3.5GHz on standard cooler !

Whilst I've seen DDR2 1333MHz memory reviewed, I've yet to see it for sale or a motherboard that advertises supporting DDR2 running at 1333MHz stock.

DDR3 is a different matter as that goes all the way upto 2000MHz (at the moment), but then you're chasing your tail as DDR3 motherboards support 1666MHz FSB CPUs...

Last edited:
Ok, thanks for those pointers guys....so im now looking for a q9 series cpu, im not worried about it being the latest as that commands a £500 premium...llets keep everything mid range, im going to stick with the board as i think thats a good move and as said, im good for an upgrade when the prices drop on the extremes....so can someone point me to suitable cpu for that board around the £180 tops mark ??...i think i will put a tally up of what i have got so far to. Graphics card turned up today...i though it was a mobo!!!! has it been that long since i built a system ??

The next model up appears to be the Q9450, but its ~£211.

Again that is a good price for the Q9300. The OEM processor is £10 more at ebuyer, £20 if you want the stock cooler.

Recommended aftermarket HSF manufacturer's are; Scythe and Thermalright. In my experience Zalman's newer CPU coolers in the CPNS range are quite loud on full speed. Get some Arctic Silver V (aka Arctic Silver 5) thermal paste whilst you're at it.

Ok, i think im set with the Q9300 as it is quite possibly a blink of an eyes difference between the two......ill see if i can get it at even a lower price now.......i was looking at a zalman cooler to fit the zalman case but i do want QUIET

Ok, i think im set with the Q9300 as it is quite possibly a blink of an eyes difference between the two......ill see if i can get it at even a lower price now.......i was looking at a zalman cooler to fit the zalman case but i do want QUIET

The difference between the two CPUs is about 1-6% on benchmarks. Using the same RAM with both (e.g. DDR2 1066) a casual user probably wouldn't notice the difference, a hard core gamer might. The difference between PC2-6400 and PC2-8500 would be more noticable, then again so would doubling the amount of RAM installed...

I forgot you've got a 'desktop' style case... the taller 'tower' style HSFs may not fit. The older Zalman 'flowers' are fine (e.g. CPNS8700), its the newer upright ones that I find noisier (i.e. CPNS9700). However, this is only my opinion of running both at full speed, and could just be the one I was supplied.

I've checked the specs of the case and at 16cm in height I don't think you will be able to fit any of the tower coolers with 120mm fan

From the Zalman website,

All Zalman VGA coolers are compatible. To check what dimensions are supported for VGA cards, please refer to our website at www.zalman.co.kr. For CPU coolers, all but the CNPS9700 series are compatible with the HD160XT Plus, HD 160XT, HD 160 Plus, and HD160. The HD135 is unable to support either the CNPS9700 or 9500 series due to its Top Cover's Fan Duct.

So the 9500 is your best bet. If you don't overclock the Q9300 is a low wattage CPU and you might be able to get away without the fan.

on the point of cooling - have you considered using a water cooled solution?

What sort of cost is involved with that and is it worth the hassle ??

I've checked the specs of the case and at 16cm in height I don't think you will be able to fit any of the tower coolers with 120mm fan

From the Zalman website,

All Zalman VGA coolers are compatible. To check what dimensions are supported for VGA cards, please refer to our website at www.zalman.co.kr. For CPU coolers, all but the CNPS9700 series are compatible with the HD160XT Plus, HD 160XT, HD 160 Plus, and HD160. The HD135 is unable to support either the CNPS9700 or 9500 series due to its Top Cover's Fan Duct.

So the 9500 is your best bet. If you don't overclock the Q9300 is a low wattage CPU and you might be able to get away without the fan.

I did read the info regarding fans for that case and know which ones will fit, but if there is a different brand like you said earlier that is quieter it is worth looking at. As for overclocking, i like the idea of it but rarely bother, however with this one if its a case of just upping something simple in the bios then i more than likely will, im not that involved that i would want to start going into great detail and things liike adding cooling to the ram etc etc.

The zalman are OK, at one time they were considered the best available but I find there is better / quieter coolers out there. However with you case I would stick with something that you know is going to fit.

As for O/C, it should be a simple case of increase FSB and you may have to increase CPU voltage as well. If you are not CPU bound then I would not bother as the side effect is generally more heat.

Back