Sensible Topic If Aldi can do it?

I'm a self-confessed European traveller who self-caters and has done for 20-odd years. What I see in Aldi is much the same as I see in the rest of Europe. We Brits are often lured into 'branding' and 'premium pricing' for no good reason other than where our head is (up our jacksy sometimes lol).

Maybe the big UK supermarkets should employ a team of people on lower wages who could point out to the 'upper echelons' in marketing etc. that not everyone is on £50k (or more) a year!

:)

Aldi managers and assistant managers can earn that and more I believe

We have been using Aldi for about 3 years now, and I think their grub is better than the branded food.
The quality of their non food items is also great.

(TT)

been an aldi shopper for 10+ years as its the largest store that in my town. They can be a bit hit and miss quality wise, but on the whole they are comparable to supermarket own brand and they even have their own luxury brand now some of which is really really good. I've had some of my friends who usually shop at M&S and Waitrose shopping asking where some of my stuff has come from.

Obviously their range is not as extensive so if you are after something specific then you might find it difficult. Also the shopping experience is shall we say basic and they don't accept CC but on the whole I would say don't knock it till you try it.

I use Aldi and Lidl and find the products I use them for are great and I am only disappointed that Netto were bought out and their way of selling was dropped.
It is not always a case of "you get what you pay for" in fact in many cases the only thing you are paying for is a name.
As for the wages comment about Aldi, they and Lidl have always paid their staff more than the likes of Asda, Tesco, Sainsburys , etc.

Last edited:
I use Aldi and Lidl and find the products I use them for are great and I am only disappointed that Netto were bought out and their way of selling was dropped.
It is not always a case of "you get what you pay for" in fact in many cases the only thing you are paying for is a name.
As for the wages comment about Aldi, they and Lidl have always paid their staff more than the likes of Asda, Tesco, Sainsburys , etc.

didn't realise that, I know they were advertising for store and area managers and the wages didn't look that bad. The staff at our local Aldi seem to have been there forever so I am guessing they can't be that bad to work for. And they have also extended opening times till 10pm making it more convenient.

We have an aldi a two minute walk from us so I often pop down there to pick bits and bobs up, for some things its ok but I do find a few things that I'd rather get at sainsburys. The quality of their produce just isnt great for example but that could just be my local. I wish they would have more tills open though or get some self scan tills in, the queues are always huge which is a bit annoying when I only have a loaf of bread and some milk.

Yea there is some branded stuff that Aldi etc. don't do. I tend to avoid meat unless it's really UK or Ireland, the way they import from europe and stamp "Product of the UK" or Product of Ireland" is plain misleading as these products come from all over the EU.

Lets hope Aldi/Lidl don't get too big for there boots once Tesco, Asda, and Morrisons customers start going there instead. What I mean is will Aldi and the likes pump there prices up then?.

They are just building another Aldi just up the road from me. It's not my preference as I like the selection and variety in Morrisons and Asda, but I will say that their fresh produce is top notch. My missus used to work for a Care Home and just like many others all their food was purchased in Aldi.

we do our main shop every week in aldi I cannot fault the quality of most products the washing up liquid and clothes powder/ liquid are the only 2 products that are below par we now buy fairy platinum and which ever washing sachets are on special offer from Sainsbury's everything else is as the advert says like brands but cheaper at aldi

We use to shop in Aldi 15 years ago when I was on the dole and my kids would make me and the mrs get Tesco bags to put the Aldi shopping in!..................Its certainly lost that stigma about it now .I,m on a pretty good wage at Jaguarlandrover (JLR),But we allways shop at Aldi now and just buy a few bits and pieces from morrisons. I think the quality is not that bad at all I got some of there irish cream for Christmas ok they had a choice of 2 i got the more expensive 1 but no one could tell the difference between that and baileys.

Most new Aldi's that open seem to be be within spitting distance of Asda. A lot of people can give you directions to the nearest Asda but would struggle to direct you to an Aldi. So if you are in an unfamiliar town and don't want to be ripped off, just ask for directions to the nearest Asda.

Back