IBM Blade Centre and Cisco IG Switch

jfish

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
anyone done some work configuring a Cisco Intelligent Ethernet Gigabit switch in a IBM Blade Centre

need to ask about VLANS and Trunking

played with them a little bit at work, what did you want to know

played with them a little bit at work, what did you want to know

The Blade Centre has 14 blades on it, the Cisco switch on the back is a Cisco Intelligent Gigabit Swith Module and connected to main network back bone thru a single rj45 cable

Main Network IP Adress is 10.101.2.x

configured 2 VLANS -

VLAN1 is for the 2 MM Ports (gi0/15 and gi0/16)
VLAN2 is for the 14 Blades Servers (gi0/1 to gi0/14)

gi0/17 is interface connected to the main network backbone

I have done everything as per document from IBM and Cisco, set up trunking on each of the Blade server port switch settings with VLAN Allow set to 2-4095 or ALL for the gi0/17 port

I have setup a single Blade Server running VMWare ESXi with an IP Address of 10.101.8.51

Problem is I can not ping the 10.101.8.51 address from my laptop (which is on subnet 10.101.4.x)

Using IOS do I need to set the interface of VLAN2 the IP Address range like this

Interface vlan 2
Ip address 10.101.8.1 255.255.255.0
No shutdown

or because is a VM Server, do I need to do additional configuration ?

or am I missing something here ?

you wont be able to ping it m8,

from what i gather from what you said.

VLANs need to be on their own subnet. so you have 2 different subnet with their oen ip ranges and masks.

Switches only operate at layer 2, if you wanted to network between the VLANS (networks) you would require a layer 3 device. i.e a router. and a routing protocol turnt on if it a cisco router.

have a look on cisco's site for router on a stick setup.

hope that helps.

you wont be able to ping it m8,

from what i gather from what you said.

VLANs need to be on their own subnet. so you have 2 different subnet with their oen ip ranges and masks.

Switches only operate at layer 2, if you wanted to network between the VLANS (networks) you would require a layer 3 device. i.e a router. and a routing protocol turnt on if it a cisco router.

have a look on cisco's site for router on a stick setup.

hope that helps.

thanks for that, but was told the Cisco switch/router on the main backbone of the network is connects to (which is a layer 3) is set up so I should be able to ping to it

worse case I can setup a desktop with 2 networks cards one connected to main backbone and the other to the switch on the back of the Blade chassis and run routing on it via Linux

thanks for that, but was told the Cisco switch/router on the main backbone of the network is connects to (which is a layer 3) is set up so I should be able to ping to it

worse case I can setup a desktop with 2 networks cards one connected to main backbone and the other to the switch on the back of the Blade chassis and run routing on it via Linux

kk didnt know you had router on there.

see when you ping, what error you getting, timeout or destination unreachable?

is switch connected directly to the router or via other switche or switches? does it have redundancy built in, if so do you have spanning tree properly enabled, with proper root bridge etc?

kk didnt know you had router on there.

see when you ping, what error you getting, timeout or destination unreachable?

is switch connected directly to the router or via other switche or switches? does it have redundancy built in, if so do you have spanning tree properly enabled, with proper root bridge etc?

I get the timeout error

the switch from the back of the Blade chassis is connected directly to the main Cisco router via a single RJ45 cable

No redudancy built it as yet and as for spanning tree - is that on the Blade switch of the main network router

I will run the IOS command show running-config tomorrow and post it here, may give a clearer picture to the problem.

Back