i was gonna get one of these ok google things until i realised that it saved everthing on your phone

joeblaze

DW Regular
Reaction score
when i went back to one of my friends his wife was able to play our voices on her phone because we had used her ok google

i gone off it a bit i had sent a couple of texts while driving or calls but i didnt know it saved every thing on your phone is it on your computer too i cant even delete it. i hate my voice when i hear it like that

if you turn off saving. you cant use your ok google no more. we tried that

Last edited:
i didnt get an ok google thing because google knows way too much about us as it is..

Heres what ive done upto this year so far with good results. (12 month project)

Typing my name into google was a scary sight which prompted me to make changes.

Closed facebook down.. 13 months without it.. I requested to FB they remove all data held on me.
Twitter i removed all reference to my name.. changed my username and name
Got rid of snapchat
Removed
all reference to myself from instagram.
Stopped using google and now use www.searchpage.com - Uses google search but keeps privacy
Youtube removed all reference to my name and profile picture is a samsung remote
Linkedin closed this shyte down.. not needed.. its just another way for people to prowl on you.

Searching my name on searchpage now only brings up 1 reference to my name - no pictures of myself. this reference is a duplicate youtube account which ive yet to get rid of.

P.s i will stop using google mail in the future but it takes time.. but i do use pop now and dont go near google homepage.

I use alexa but im not too worried about this.. get yourself off of social media, its a dangerous place where people prowl and watch your every move.

i didnt get an ok google thing because google knows way too much about us as it is..

Heres what ive done upto this year so far with good results. (12 month project)

Typing my name into google was a scary sight which prompted me to make changes.

Closed facebook down.. 13 months without it.. I requested to FB they remove all data held on me.
Twitter i removed all reference to my name.. changed my username and name
Got rid of snapchat
Removed
all reference to myself from instagram.
Stopped using google and now use www.searchpage.com - Uses google search but keeps privacy
Youtube removed all reference to my name and profile picture is a samsung remote
Linkedin closed this shyte down.. not needed.. its just another way for people to prowl on you.

Searching my name on searchpage now only brings up 1 reference to my name - no pictures of myself. this reference is a duplicate youtube account which ive yet to get rid of.

P.s i will stop using google mail in the future but it takes time.. but i do use pop now and dont go near google homepage.

I use alexa but im not too worried about this.. get yourself off of social media, its a dangerous place where people prowl and watch your every move.

LinkedIn is superb for a spot of stalking :).

I head rumours that Android phones might be partial to a bit spying on you but I haven't looked into it. I did read somewhere about someone getting a device to listen to some Italian online station and they started getting online adverts in Italian.

Exactly.. all it needs is your employer or perspecitive employer to have a look at your profile and your in a whole heap of crap.. especially if they start to link to your other accounts where you poked fun at an alien looking transgendered sheep..

The police also use the web nowadays and bring said evidence to your door with a copy of a search warrent.. (experienced)

Exactly.. all it needs is your employer or perspecitive employer to have a look at your profile and your in a whole heap of crap.. especially if they start to link to your other accounts where you poked fun at an alien looking transgendered sheep..

The police also use the web nowadays and bring said evidence to your door with a copy of a search warrent.. (experienced)

I also keep a minimal digital footprint, no social media. Refused to use the work corporate CV thing too. Different name on any sites I have to sign up for...

It's a big brother world we live in, thing is everything is linked now to make your life easier
a device shouldn't listen until you use the wake word
I don't mine Google knowing im turning lights on and off and what music I'm listening too
It's a god send to my work I add all my work appointments in Google calendar, Ive set up a routine that wakes me up, tells me what appointments are on my calendar, turns on TV downstairs (lights in winter months) and turns the kettle on, I wouldn't be without my google set up :)

It looks like it actually uses Yahoo search.

Not sure what's worse - google or yahoo? Google likely track more than yahoo but yahoo don't appear to be secure at all (at least going by amount of times yahoo mail has been cracked).

I have never really thought of this but is an interesting thread and thought provoking.

I use Alexa and appreciate it listens but as rat says these devices offer a lot of automation but clearly at a cost.
I have just deleted my LinkedIn account as I don’t use and that is one less.

I will think about Twitter and Facebook in time, both are leaving big digital footprints but I follow band / clubs etc and the news source is so up to date I’m not sure how I could be as informed without them.

Next one that worries me are apps like waze or maps (probably falls under the google risks) but they seem send notifications telling me traffic is bad at point x and I should take another route home, so they know a lot about my movements.

Hmm was so much simplier when I was younger and had just a tv and Atari.

I understand peoples concern but pretty much everything now collects our data

I don't use one however I saw this if it's any help, Top Tutorials says you can turn off them listening.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

It looks like it actually uses Yahoo search.

Not sure what's worse - google or yahoo? Google likely track more than yahoo but yahoo don't appear to be secure at all (at least going by amount of times yahoo mail has been cracked).

How we made search private

You can’t beat Google when it comes to online search. So we’re paying them to use their brilliant search results in order to remove all trackers and logs. The result: The world’s best and most private search engine. Only now you can search without ads following you around, recommending products you’ve already bought. And no more data mining by companies with dubious intentions. We want you to dance like nobody’s watching and search like nobody’s watching.

Not yahoo but google.. without all the tracking..

...Not yahoo but google.. without all the tracking..
I try to go by what is actually presented. I see the following reasons why it is Yahoo:

In top-right of that page you linked it clearly reads, "results by Yahoo"
If you then search for something, in top-right it reads "yahoo"
If you then look at the URL of what you searched for, it's changed from that website you quoted to uk.search.yahoo.com .....

This is using both Chrome and IE11. Do you not see that when you visit that site?

I try to go by what is actually presented. I see the following reasons why it is Yahoo:

In top-right of that page you linked it clearly reads, "results by Yahoo"
If you then search for something, in top-right it reads "yahoo"
If you then look at the URL of what you searched for, it's changed from that website you quoted to uk.search.yahoo.com .....

This is using both Chrome and IE11. Do you not see that when you visit that site?

Im sorry no, i dont see yahoo refrenced at all.. When i search for anything it displays as it would on google?? Im using Firefox on Mac.

If you want a search engine that doesn't track then use duckduckgo.

Crap, Sorry but its crap.. search results are not geographic, aimed at USA users, yes i can find anything i want but do i really need to put UK at the end of every search string??

Crap, Sorry but its crap.. search results are not geographic, aimed at USA users, yes i can find anything i want but do i really need to put UK at the end of every search string??

But it guarantees your privacy ;)

Back