I think I may have bricked my Dreambox

InquisitiveA

Inactive User
Reaction score
What better to do on a Monday evening than update to DW2.1 I thought.

I downloaded the img file, and attempted to ftp it to the tmp directory and install. This didn't work, not sure why but that's the least of my worries (I probably didn't read something). Now the Dreambox won't boot, just a blank screen.

Nevermind, I'll just use DreamUP to copy it over...

When I launch Dreamup and hit 'connect' it says "connection prepared, now switch on the dreambox etc". When I plug in the power I get the "initiating flash-loader upload" dialogue, and then it hangs. I can't get to the bit to flash an image.

What do you reckon? Is it broken, is there anything I can do?

One point to note, I'm using a work laptop to use DreamUP (no other computer has an RS232 connection any more) so it's possible - but unlikely - that some work firewall is preventing the connection between the two. Do you think this is likely?

Cheers

Edit: It's a 500c, a genuine one.

Does the lappy have a genuine serial connection?do you get the message the box is alive and speak to us?

It is a genuine serial connection. I'm not using an adapter (although I may get one to try with another computer, do you think that may work?)

I don't get the "alive and speaking to us" message.

Yes, I've used it to flash before and it worked. That was a couple of years ago though and the computer I flashed it with has long since gone.

I figured as much. I've just ordered a USB to RS232 adapter so when that arrives I'll try the other PCs. It comes with a null modem cable as well (from Cablestar), so I can try that other one and remove that as a possible issue.

If it still doesn't work I'll be stuffed!

Time to buy a DM800 perhaps...?

Thanks for your help.

No worries,i take it you disabled av/firewall?and the com ports are correct.DReamup works on my setup with av/firewall un touched.

Because it's a work laptop I can't really alter that stuff, and it's possible some of <my company>'s excessive IT security is stopping DreamUP...

Phew, not bricked! It was my work laptop restricting communication on the serial port.

Works fine with another PC and a USB to Serial adapter.

Cheers Donnie Darko

Phew, not bricked! It was my work laptop restricting communication on the serial port.

Works fine with another PC and a USB to Serial adapter.

Cheers Donnie Darko

Nice one:Clap:,also good you posted back:Clap:,the end result may help others with this problem

Back