I have a serious urge to spend more money....advice please!

chrome307

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi there

A friend of mine has seen my sat setup and was impressed with the variety and cost of the equipment.

Well he bought an analogue reciever (Echostar) with a 1.2m dish and an 'actuator' (rod/piston motor) which he paid for in 2000........£700 excluding installation.

What he would like to do is to update it as he hardly uses it anymore.

I suggested that he could get a new LNB (Universal) and a new reciever (TM 1500 Super) and that should get him up and running.

What I thought he could do is replace the LNB (0.3Db) with a single or twin to his existing reciever and the TM (TM have promised 20m of new cable/connectors with the reciever) and use the analogue box to move the dish instead of using a positioner and then scan using the TM.

So, regarding replacing the LNB (it's positioned on his kitchen extension...flat roof......lucky barsteward), can he just remove the old one and put the new one in the holder??

Secondly was the idea of using the analogue box driving the dish feasible (btw it does work) ??

If anyone can let me know before 3pm tomorrow I'd apreciate it...........you know what it's like 'A fool and his money are easily parted!!'

Thanks in advance

chrome

he can shot the old box out to the garden and use it to keep the shed door open if he likes, but there are still a few analogue channels available so he could use it as positionerr and then use the IF output from this receiver to feed the sat signal to the TM (he will have to line the dish up then turn the analogue receiver off to use the TM)

OR

he could replace the LNB with a 0.3, replace the receiver with a TM and between the dish and receiver put something called a Vbox, this converts the diseqc commands from the TM to 36v signals for the motor, but not as easy to set up as USALS (but i think theres a usals version due to be released, if not availale already)

This bloke's got money LOL, that's why he wanted the twin LNB........too much effort for me to turn off the analogue reciever and exchange cables.....up to him.

I looked at those positioners, they do cost a bit and as his analogue reciever still moves the dish now, I thought he could use that instead...........btw I've seen analogue recievers onsale for £20 brand new online.

Thanks for the advice, I'll pass it on to him.........regarding the LNB can I just put it into the holder straight (?) or does it need to go in at an angle.......remembering mine it had '0' in the centre and then some markings either side.

chrome

Back