I fancy upgrading to a pentium 4 or should i go for AMD?

name750

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi all,
My PC is giving me sh*t.
Can't burn a single DVD no matter what i do.
Everyone from this site have given me lots of tips but nothing helps.
Thought the PC would just blow up one day to give me the excuse to get a new one,but now just this one problem.
I got an AMD chip in this one and it has been fine,but always fancied a p4.
Someone said i shoud go for a different AMD.
Suppose i'll have to get a new mother board no mater what.
So what's your opinion on P4 versus AMD (latest chip??)
And what mother board goes with what.
Also how hard is it to fit.
Is it plug and play kinda thing or will i have to load stuff.
I'm leaning on the pentium side but i could be persuaded.
Cheers

Name m8, personally I'd go down the P4 route, but I'm a long time Intel convert..But have a look at the AMD chips anyway, I think the latest Dual core ones are supposed to be better than the P4's..But they seem very expensive to me.
I'd go for one of the P4 'D' series dual core jobbies. Depends on your budget I suppose..:)
Motherboard wise ABIT, without a doubt..Built loads of m/c's now with their boards. All my main workstations have them in & one of my servers. Personally, I recommend the IC-7 or the AL-8series (depending on what chip you want) [DLMURL="http://www2.abit.com.tw/page/uk/motherboard/motherboard_type.php?fMTYPE=Socket+478"]LOOK HERE[/DLMURL]
Some info about chip types & borads [DLMURL="http://www.abit.com.tw/cpu_support/intel-pd-8xx.htm"]HERE[/DLMURL].
Building it is quite straight forward, if your buying mobo & chip etc from one place, they'll normally fit chip/heatsink & ram for you.

Have fun..

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks very much for that.
Now thats why i come here??
I'm still toying with the idea of just getting a pc from ebay and have this as a spare.
Appart from the dvd crashing it it's a good old thing ,but i wanna see what a p4 can do.
You settled that and confirmed what i was thinking all along.
I don't mind doing stuff myself but was looking at how you have to fit the chips and all that paste and tape sh*t did'nt really appeal to me.
I'm being tempted by a new dell with a p4 3,25ghtzn chip. Dont know what that is but it's a bigger number than all the rest??
Cheers buddy!

yeah i got an amd 3200+ was looking at the dual core amd but it was abit too expensive for my liking.

One advantage that AMD have is that they run a lot cooler than Pentiums, I agree that they are $$$ but I bet when Intel's "true" dual core comes around they will be more expensive. I think that the dual cores are primarily aimed at the business end of the market, competition for the xeon market..

Thanks

TESTPRN.

AMD or Pentium?????

m8,

If you got money to spend then go for pentium 4 HT processors. they are obviously little bit faster than AMD. If you want to save money and get slightly less performance then go for AMD. they are cheap and fast.

if you really want powerful PC then also go for latest motherboard and get
two hard drives. get one of them of 10000 RPM speed (bit expensive but much faster and reliable). the other one you can get as normal one 7200 RPM with 16mb cache. and 1GB ram. this way you can install your OS on to faster hard drive and your data on to the 7200 rpm drive. believe me you will feel the difference. I'm using winxp and my desktop appears in 9 seconds from the time I turn my pc on.

hope this helps. if you need any help then just pm me or leave message on this thread.

cheers:Cheers:

cheecs said:
m8,

If you got money to spend then go for pentium 4 HT processors. they are obviously little bit faster than AMD. If you want to save money and get slightly less performance then go for AMD. they are cheap and fast.

if you really want powerful PC then also go for latest motherboard and get
two hard drives. get one of them of 10000 RPM speed (bit expensive but much faster and reliable). the other one you can get as normal one 7200 RPM with 16mb cache. and 1GB ram. this way you can install your OS on to faster hard drive and your data on to the 7200 rpm drive. believe me you will feel the difference. I'm using winxp and my desktop appears in 9 seconds from the time I turn my pc on.

hope this helps. if you need any help then just pm me or leave message on this thread.

cheers:Cheers:

An AMD chip is not necessarily slower than a P4 HT. It is out of preference and what you would use it for to come to a decision of what chip you want to get. The FX series come out on top in most benchmark tests. so you need to look at this: am i going to primarily use it for games, or for applications? when seeking for a mobo make sure it supports dual channel RAM, never skimp on money when it comes to this, or you will find that it is a regretable decision. If your planning on going for the new 64 bit OS then get a chip that supports this. If you do go fir AMD chip make sure to get the 939 pin and not the 754 as they will be phasing out soon.

Raptor drives cost alot of money considering all they do is access data faster. If you are an average PC user then a standard 7,200 RMP HD should be good enough. If you are going to build one, make sure you build it to how you would use it :)

smitherz

personally always stuck with AMD ... but that is from preference (and cheaper than intel)

Back