htpc or nvidea shield

deej01

DW Regular
Reaction score
at the moment i have an nvidea shield for netflix, youtube etc. im using a htpc for kodi and dvd player now and then. but now im thinking about combining both on to 1 device.
not sure if all to shield and lose dvd player or all to htpc. has anyone tried an android os on pc.
or any other suggestions

I think you might need an half decent pc to run bluestax, I doubt it would work with an atom cpu for example, I know when I tried it using My I3 it didn't work very well maybe it was the onboard gpu as well that it didn't like.

I use the shield for everything.

I have my DVD's and Blu-Ray's stored as ISO files on my NAS and kodi on the shield plays them just fine.

I also have use an external USB hard drive with the shield with ISO's too with no problems.

I don't use discs at all these days. 99% of the stuff I watch I download, if I want to use a disk I rip it to ISO.

im thinking of just using shield now and sell htpc

I use the Shield for everything. Mostly Kodi but integrate Android apps or drop back to Shield TV if needed. Media on various sources from NAS or PC's around the house. Also gone discless years back and have never looked back

Could You not plug an external dvdrw usb into the sheild if you wanted to play a disc?

Could You not plug an external dvdrw usb into the sheild if you wanted to play a disc?

It is a possibility, but I haven't tried mine, not need to.

I have 3 external slimline USB DVD writers made by Lite-on. They have a special mode for using with smart TV's.
If you plug them into a pc they work as normal, but to use them with a TV, which has no drivers, you just hold the eject button as you plug them in and they work driverless as standard dvd drive in read only mode.

Back