BIOS/UEFI HP Pavilion Problem

Gwyn1

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Can anyone help me on an odd problem I am having with my HP Pavilion dv 6000 laptop with Win 10 pro.

Under normal circumstances it is running well, but after any Win update that activates a Power restart . the laptop just completely powers down, and will not start again . When pressing the power button. the leds all come on, the SSD activity led comes on for about 10 seconds then stops and all the led extinguish again.

I also now notice that if I click start/power/restart the same thing happens.

If I leave the laptop for a couple of hours, then press the Power button, it boots OK again, and will run normally for the rest of the day, unless I activate a restart.

When working normally,I have checked the BIOS entries which appear to be OK

I have replaced the BIOS battery, and tested the SSD, but am unable to replace / update the BIOS F.3F as HP no longer support it

Is there anything else I can try

That's a really old laptop mate. Just because it's able to run windows 10 doesn't necessarily mean it's windows 10 compatible.
I don't think it's a fault per se.
If I were you I'd put up with it. The next time it happens remove from charger, remove battery and press the power button for around 30 seconds, put battery back in and charger if necessary. Then try starting it, that hopefully should save you having to wait a couple of hours before being able to turn it on again.

Hi Chookey,
Thanks for your reply, tried your suggestion, but still no joy.
Even though it would run all day on its own, thought it may be an overheating problem,
so sat a fan underneath it but still didn't help.
I know its only a minor problem, but just like solving a jigsaw it would be nice to locate the source of the problem.
I now have an i7 HP Elite, so am busy transferring my files over to it, but the pavilion has been a reliable old friend,
so am loathe to dump it in the bin.
As you suggest I think maybe the BIOS version is not fully compatible with Win 10, so maybe, after moving to the new HP I will reload the original WIN 7 version, and see how it goes

I've got one of these DV6xxx series I am repairing for someone and I'm surprised yours and this one I'm fixing have lasted so long. Generally consumer HP Laptops are junk and only last a few years before hardware failures or physical failures like hing anchors, cosmetics. The DV series is notorious for graphics chip issues and overheating. You might try disabling fast start in Win 10 settings as I've seen on some laptops that this can cause an issue. My advice in the future is stay away from HP consumer products and go with Lenovo Thinkpad or Dell Latitude series..
What you need to know about disabling Windows 10 fast startup

Back