How to stop a program from accessing the internet [Autocad]

dibbers

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
how do I stop a program from accessing the net, I've added the autocad.exe to the outbound and inbound services and "blocked" them in windows firewall.

I know that on my PC when I installed PS i then had to create a rule and do a loop back for it so it pointed to 127.0.0.1

Can't quite remember how this was done now.

I want it NOT to go online and check for auto-cad updates etc.

he's just had a fresh install of windows put on it (and yes he did try and install auto-cad him self) but I've saved it and have installed it along with the crack.

Just don't want to plug it into the net and find that it's updated etc.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

for the loop back, u did the hosts IF u know which server it's trying to look up.

c:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc edit hosts with notepad

thanks mate, I'll have a look on the net and see if I can find them.

I've added a rule to windows firewall as well, but I'd rather make sure before I connect this machine to the net.

If you have blocked it in windows firewall then it will be fine dibbs :)

At least it has never let me down,yet :)

well that's what I thought the last time I installed it on his machine (It's a brand new build) I'm sure I had added it to windows firewall the last time.

However he'd managed to remove the anti-virus that came with it and had then managed to install a new one (I was thinking that it might have been this that wiped the memory program when you install auto-cad)

However god know's what he'd done I'm just trying to future proof me self......I haven't connected this machine to the net yet (it's been wiped and windows 7 put back on it so he can get autocad working)

Funnily enough he quite happily paid the local computer shop £50.00 to re-format windows and yet I'm doing it all for free. (install and download autocad, Office etc. etc.)

well just had a look and he's managed to turn off windows firewall, might install zone alarm that used to annoy the hell out you for programs wanting to connect to the net, or maybe even "opendns" on his broad band, well you got to with some people haven't ya?

the easiest way is with host as said in previous posts, most users dont know it exists where it is and what its for but effective if you know the site the program is trying to call home to.

yeah used it with PS, should have really thought about it before firing off this question as used it me self...lol

I'll have a look around the net. cheers

Luckily enough, there's a small tut on the net about it.

How to disable the Communication Center in Autocad?

Issue
You are working in a secure location and you do not want the system to connect to the internet. You would like to disable the Communication Center.

Solution
You will need to open Regedit and search for InfoCenterOn. You will need to change the value from 1 to 0.

win7_info.jpg

OK installed and put on "zone alarm" (and edited the registry) it's just as annoying as what it used to be like all the moons ago, but for some one like this it is needed.

Just thought, he told me "it's never been connected to the internet" oh and can you have a look at outlook as the error it's producing I'm not sure off, and low and behold, it's been connected to the net, how else would it have a few e-mails in the "in-box" of his "outlook"

complete and utter waste of time with some people isn't it!

he's managed to connect to the net with it and it's not working again....I give up on this one......

Back