How To Record

captainjack

Inactive User
Reaction score
Internal or External?
-------------------

If you have the fan-less TM800 HD I recommend connecting an external HD via USB on the rear; the box gets hot enough on its own with its own circuitry.
Personally even with a fan I would recommend an external drive as you can plug & play different drives but this is just personal preference.

Is my drive detected?
---------------------

Plug in via internally or externally to the box and power on the box. Once the box is up & running, you can go to the menu -> System -> Information and the drive should be listed. In addition, a new menu entry should be listed as HARDDRIVE which confirms the drive is detected and will work.

Preparing the drive to work with your TM800HD
---------------------------------------------

However, going into the HARDDRIVE menu option is pointless as the drive cannot be initialised by the box. You are better off grabbing a copy of Ubuntu off the net and loading the OS onto ur PC/laptop via the CD/DVD-drive. You can load the OS onto your PC without installing it! The whole OS runs in the RAM. Once the OS is loaded go to Disk Utility, unmount the drive and format the drive in the ext2 or ext3 format - this is the Linux file system.

This step may not be necessary as the box may detect the drive, not initialise it but you can still record on it! Still the step above is advised as it will clean the drive and prep it for the linux filesystem which the TM800 HD uses

Choose your Locations to store recordings
-----------------------------------------

There is a choice in the system menu called recordings where you can identify & set the location. Ideally you should set the directory as /media/disk - for your hard-drive.

How To Record
--------------

To record you press the record button and then are presented with a few options. I have found only option 2 actually works for me - recording indefinitely. Once selected you get a confirmation message of the program you are now recording.

To stop recording press record again and more options will be presented - option 1 is to stop. Once stopped a screen will pop up identifying what you were recording and how long you recorded it for. Just press OK to get rid of this message.

How to PlayBack
----------------

There is a button called REC LIST - this will bring up your recordings. Note - no functions but play will work; no pause, forward or rewind. Sometimes stopping the playback or watching it until it finishes will crash the box, where the loading wheels appear on the top left and just rotate. You have to switch off the box from behind and power on.

Can I program my box via the web interface to record?
----------------------------------------------------

Will get back to you! Until then good luck!

Last edited:
good post mate :)

1st time I tried recording it wouldent stop and crashed (reboot needed)

second time recorded and played back with no sound

500gb ext drive

I experienced all kinds of issues when trying this out hence the (hopefully) pain-free guide. What I found was flashing the box via the PC always works best for me - could be plain ol paranoia but its been consistent with every image I've uploaded. Took 3 flashes, 2 via LAN and 1 via the PC to finally get it as stable as can be.

sorted the No Sound with recording

simple really...

press Audio Button
select (1) MPEG ()
I know its already on that lol
press OK

sorted

so you had picture before then you changed the audio then picture disappeared ?

Just did a few recordings and the problem is ib the payserver channels. The other ones seem ok . But gotta go to work so will test later.

Back