How to optimize your broadband - A guide

There is a program, I think its called TCPoptimize ... don't quote me on that though.
Your best bet is to try the cablenut forum - theres bound to be some posts on it.

Thanks for that, will give it a try. Sorry for the deleyayed reply, been snowed under with work.

Just the other day I was getting around 18mb when I found out I had been upgraded. The speeds were only 18mb when I used a download manager or newsgroup.
On speedtest websites, the max it showed was 4-5mb.
Anywhow I used TCPOptimiser and it didnt make a difference and then I used Cablenut and when I tested the speed Im getting between 8-9mb now.

----
Ignore Above. Had to edit a bit of the registry. Now speeds back up and so far upto 19mb and not dropping under 17mb.

Last edited:

this was only a small difference from what i had but hey its still an improvment..thanks it deffo works

hi all just so i know im doing it right,im on virgin broadband size m, so i need to use,virgin 4mbit.am i right
cheers ratty077

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 1969720 bps
Upload speed: 188504 bps
Quality of service: 99 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum download pause: 16 ms
Average download pause: 15 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 17 ms
Average round trip time to server: 22 ms

Last edited:
I am supposed to have 20megs from virgin but speed tests show I get no where near that. Highest Ive ever had was 3 megs - pants.
I will try this out when I get home at the weekend, thanks :)

Right, tried it and tried the attached ccs file unfortunately no joy, just under 4 megs now.
I think I will contact Virgin Media, ensure they have given me 20megs
My last upgrade they still kept my old analogue line on and were charging me even though it was supposed to be cancelled

well all i can say is thanks very much god knows what was going on before am on 4meg and was only getting 1680 max download run cablenet and your file and its now up to 3680 am well pleased
thanks a lot

just a quick question (prob a daft one) do i need to run it on each comp connected on my system

Last edited:
well all i can say is thanks very much god knows what was going on before am on 4meg and was only getting 1680 max download run cablenet and your file and its now up to 3680 am well pleased
thanks a lot

just a quick question (prob a daft one) do i need to run it on each comp connected on my system

You don't really need to, but it won't hurt if you do.

Well as a new member to this forum I thought it might be prudent of me to contribute to the community that exists here, therefore I have written this little guide to help everyone attain download and upload speeds at what they should be!

PREAMBLE
Many people these days don't get anywhere near the download speeds that the I.S.P says they provide, for example you may have a 10mbps (megabits per second) connection and the best you can get out of it is around about 6mbps.

Well it might be surprising for most of you but it's actually not always your internet providers fault that speeds are so slow, as not too many people know - Windows XP's built-in networking settings are very inefficient as they are generic and meant for all internet connections (not your specific connection)!

However there are ways to tweak your connection into running at close to if not at your maximum possible download speed!

First might I recommend that you visit SpeedTest and test your connection to test your current speed.

CableNut optimiser
First of all I recommend that you download CableNut. Cablenut is a program that tweaks the internet settings of your computer by modifying the registry you can get it here:
http://www.docsdownloads.com/download/cablenut408.exe

CableNut custom speed files
Second of all you will need one of the attachments I have included with this thread, use whichever corresponds to your connection speed, these are optimisation files which correspond to the speeds i've labelled them as. I made them for virgin Media users but they will work elsewhere as long as the speed corresponds to your own.

Please note that these custom connection speed files WILL work with your ISP as long as the speed is the same as the file's labelled speed.

Feel free to request custom speeds according to your speed tariff and your ISP and I'll be glad to make them for you and add them to this main post! All you need to do is tell me what your download speed is supposed to be, what type of connection it is (ADSL, Cable or Satellite) and I'll see what I can cook up.

How to use CableNut
Using cablenut is very straight forward; all you need to do once you've installed it all and you have the program running is click on " file > open custom ccs file " and open the appropriate file I have attached with this post (if your on virgin media with a 10mbit connection choose that file) and then once it opens in cablenut click on "save to registry"

Thats it!

Reboot your system and enjoy your tweaked speeds!
after you reboot your system I recommend that you visit SpeedTest again and test out your new speed to see if you notice an increase, if you do give yourself a pat on the back and enjoy your nice better speed.

I give credit to Van Burren as I based my config files upon his. http://www.testmy.net/topic-1013 (04/05/2007)

I hope this is in the right area of the forum, if not could a moderator move it please?

My own results:
Hi

I dont know about any of these files or editing the registry .... but I do use one program from the best .... GOOGLE.....

I use the Google Web Accelerator program ... very small program but it makes my Internet pretty fast ... it also has features so it tells you how much is saved

worked for me...my 20meg crappy virgin service went from 6 meg..to 15 meg...well happy...WELL DONE !!!!!

hade quite a few goes at this over the last couple of days.

I'm ment to be on 20Meg with Virgin.

Interestingly if I use the 4meg setting I get about 3ish meg

But if I use the 20meg settings I only get about 2is meg.

Any ideas??

Had a dabble a couple of days ago, speedtest showed an increase, however (didnt put 2 and 2 together) lost activsync to pda, didnt notice till yesterday wasnt syncing, took me bloody ages to work out this was blocking it, finally removed and sync now ok.

Tried to run this picked my OS as WINDOWS ME i'm using vista. not to be used with it only up to win2000 or 2003 server

Last edited:
:Cheers:I was dl on newsgroup 4-6 mb now 8-10mb on my 10mb service.:BLOBBY:

I m with virgin media and download speed has always been tip top,my download speed is 10 mb.
I download @ 1.1Mb a sec or 1200 kbs using torrents or news groups @ a constant speed.
Recently I've seen the shittest download speeds ever I'm lucky to get 500 kbs and thats by throttling my upload speed,I cant even browse without getting time outs,Playing the xbox 360 is a pain all I see is migrating host and booting me out thats just playing online no downloading.
Ive tried updating and bypassing my router but same shit.
Its like the quality of my connection has gone to pot.
Speedtest yields nothing says my line is 10mbit.
So Im wondering if anyone has any pointers.
ps my line was fine before there was some outage in nw london a few weeks ago and my area had no services at all.

Back