How to: Install a motorised satellite dish

Won't be using usals as I don't think the mount on the wall is 100% perfectly plumb. With the help of the meter I should be able to get it back as good as when first installed if not better, need the weather to give me a break first though.

Cheers for the tips guys.

The most important thing is to get the mounting hardware perfectly plumb, or as near as damn it. If you don't it will never arc properly, resulting in poor or no signal on fringe reception satellites.

Spend the time getting your mount straight and it will be worth it.

Can you not get the wall mount plumb. If it is slightly out you can get away with it but even then its not going track the arc as it should.

What type of wall mount is it ?

The most important thing is to get the mounting hardware perfectly plumb, or as near as damn it. If you don't it will never arc properly, resulting in poor or no signal on fringe reception satellites.

Spend the time getting your mount straight and it will be worth it.

It is on a L bracket, ultimately I should change it to T&K brackets but that would be a job for the summer. The bracket has been up for about 4 years I've always been able to get most sats but struggled with 39e and 30w

It is on a L bracket, ultimately I should change it to T&K brackets but that would be a job for the summer. The bracket has been up for about 4 years I've always been able to get most sats but struggled with 39e and 30w

Can you not shim it underneath the wall plate ? Just loosen the bolts slightly to insert i shimm ? Or twist the plate around its bolts and re tighten ?

anybody used an oyster dish as fiited to motorhomes

I have never installed one, but I have repaired a few of them for clients. Very clever system, horrendously expensive and can be troublesome. The slightly less expensive ones do not have auto-skew, so not an ideal "motorised" system.

Bumping this up again.

I should be moving house soon, the current sat dish for 28.2 is mounted very low down near the front of the property.

There is no way I'm having a 1m dish on the front of the house.

Is there a maximum cable run I can have for a motorized set up as I'm hopeful I can mount the dish at the bottom of the rear garden or possibly onto the garage but I'm not sure I will get a full line of site. Bottom of the garden should be approx 70ft from the house.

Screenshot_2019-09-24 Satellite Look Angle Calculator - Find Any Satellite.pngWould fitting the dish above the garage roofline be a option? can anybody advise

Bumping this up again.

I should be moving house soon, the current sat dish for 28.2 is mounted very low down near the front of the property.

There is no way I'm having a 1m dish on the front of the house.

Is there a maximum cable run I can have for a motorized set up as I'm hopeful I can mount the dish at the bottom of the rear garden or possibly onto the garage but I'm not sure I will get a full line of site. Bottom of the garden should be approx 70ft from the house.

Cable length will depend on the millamp output from your receivers tuner although if you do mount at the rear of the garage i dont see a problem.

Garage looks the ideal place to me mate i suspect it will look over the roof line, ive had ground mounted dishes as close to the house as you will have there.

Thanks for the reply, that should be ideal then if I can pole mount it, just got the sat back in action and the pic quality is mint compared to other means of watching,

Just make sure the pole is perfectly horizontal, if it's not getting the dish to move across the arc is nigh impossible. I've moved twice and took mine with me.
I did it myself after a sat engineer couldn't get it setup perfect. I reset the pole, and the rest was easy enough. The HH motor has been going for 15 years ans still moves freely

My system was installed by a supposed pro and it isn't perfect, bracket is certainly not plum as I can't get sats at either end of the arc that I should easily get.

Luckily I now have a decent meter so should be able to get the setup pretty decent when I move.

Just thought i would show ya my set up in the back garden, did take a bit of messing with but got there in the end, can't really go any further than 36e or 36w but it does what i need it too. Thanks to Ferret and others

wp_20181014_12_24_09_pro_li-jpg.126441
WP_20181014_12_23_52_Pro_LI.jpg

Attachments

• WP_20181014_12_24_09_Pro_LI.jpg
    WP_20181014_12_24_09_Pro_LI.jpg
    675.9 KB · Views: 61
The pole is about 800mm deep and the guide rope threaded bars are 750mm deep, the holes are about 300mm diameter filled with concrete, pretty good ground so that was enough.

Focus

How much will this setup cost in 2020?
It would depend if you want same dish and motor but you can go cheaper. 1m dish £50-80, motor £35.00, bracket £20. Guide price only and either set it up yourself or maybe £120 for installer. The bracket price is based on an l bracket not ground mount. You can go cheaper if you wish.

Back