How to ftp with a cross over cable?

sargie

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok so ive got a big 10 meter cat 5 cable hooked it up to ps3 and the other end to the ethernet port of my pc. Started the ftp server on the ps3 checked that the site info is the same.

But it wont connect?

How do i go about doing this?

Are you sure it's a cross-over patch lead? Connecting 2 host devices together directly you'll need a cross-over lead.

Set a static IP on the PC (192.168.1.10) and the same on the PS3 (192.168.1.11) - it should connect. Just try ping it first to test. Leave gateway/DNS blank and subnet as 255.255.255.0

ETL VERIFIED TO EIA/TIA 568 CATEGORY 5 UTP 4 PAIRS 24AWG PATCH CABLE SUNF PU.

Is what it says on the cable itself. So i think im ok?

So i need to set static ip's ok ill give that a whirl.

No m8 thats a patch cable=straight cable,
you need a crossover cable.

If you can see the colour cables in the jacks (the plugs), if the colours are the in the same order on both then its a straight cable, if two pairs of colours are switched then its a cross over. More details here,

10BaseT 100BaseT CAT5 Pinouts, Pairs & Colours

You don't need a cross over if you are using a switch between the PS3 and the PC or if the PC has a gb ethernet controller. Otherwise for direct connection you need a cross over.

urmmm every body here is technically correct but as long as the negotiation is set to autodetect on both devices you can use a straight cable.
Im not talking about dhcp for the ip address im talking about the bit where it says do you want 10mbps full/half duplex or 100 mbps full/half duplex or 1000 mbps or autodetect

Well my pc does have gigabit lan the pc shows it as connected 1gbps but i still can not send data over.

It will show as connected if I remember correctly it just wont send data,
but I could be wrong :)

urmmm every body here is technically correct but as long as the negotiation is set to autodetect on both devices you can use a straight cable.
Im not talking about dhcp for the ip address im talking about the bit where it says do you want 10mbps full/half duplex or 100 mbps full/half duplex or 1000 mbps or autodetect

No, you can't use a straight cable unless you have a gigabit adaptor at one of the ends and I believe the PS3 does not have so unless his PC has one then he is going to need a x-over cable.

No, you can't use a straight cable unless you have a gigabit adaptor at one of the ends and I believe the PS3 does not have so unless his PC has one then he is going to need a x-over cable.

im sorry but you are wrong on both counts, the ps3 has 1gbit lan and as someone with a ccna who does networking on a regular basis i can tell you with some conviction that part of the auto negotiate process allows the device to put it's ethernet port into crossover so the cable does not have to.

you should google a feature called auto mdi-x, I can assure every 100 mbps capable device in the last 5-10 years has this !

it was included in the stanard spec for 1 gig lan but is added as a feature on 100mbps lan

Last edited:
Right so my pc has giga bit lan and so does the ps3 so providing i set up a static network i should be able to ftp with the cable i have?

im sorry but you are wrong on both counts, the ps3 has 1gbit lan and as someone with a ccna who does networking on a regular basis i can tell you with some conviction that part of the auto negotiate process allows the device to put it's ethernet port into crossover so the cable does not have to.

you should google a feature called auto mdi-x, I can assure every 100 mbps capable device in the last 5-10 years has this !

it was included in the stanard spec for 1 gig lan but is added as a feature on 100mbps lan

OK, the PS3 does have gb LAN so no cross-over required.

As for 100mb ethernet, dealing with servers, desktops and laptops from the last 15 years on a day to day basis I can show you plenty of 100mb devices that do not auto mdi-x.

Anyway,

Sargie, have you got the PS3 and the PC on the same subnet.

What IP address, subnet and router address have you got setup for the PS3 and the PC ?

Not got round to sortin it yet and atm my network is automatic dhcp.

Game have got some 10 meter cables for the xbox so im going to go pick one up so i dont have to move the sp3.

Ill then set up a static network and go from there.

Is your PC wireless or have you got two NICs in there or are you just using the one NIC and swapping between LAN and PS3 ?

Is your PC wireless or have you got two NICs in there or are you just using the one NIC and swapping between LAN and PS3 ?

swapping between pc and ps3 at the mo but im gonna buy another nic for a pci slot.

Back