How To: Create Bootable USB

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Dentist

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
[EDIT]
Microsoft now have a free program called Windows USB/DVD Download Tool, which performs the same task in 4 steps. It is available from here:
Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.

The original thread has been left for those who may want to give it a go without using a software "middleman", or are not using a compatible version of Windows (e.g. XP).
[/EDIT]

Been meaning to write this up for a while. Here is how to create a bootable USB really easilly without the need for any software, just use the command prompt.

1. Insert your USB (4GB+ preferable) stick to the system and backup all the data from the USB as we are going to format the USB to make it as bootable.

2. Open elevated Command Prompt. To do this, type in CMD in Start menu search field and hit Ctrl + Shift + Enter. Alternatively, navigate to Start > All programs >Accessories > right click on Command Prompt and select run as administrator.

3. When the Command Prompt opens, enter the following command:

DISKPART and hit enter.
LIST DISK and hit enter.
Once you enter the LIST DISK command, it will show the disk number of your USB drive. In the below image my USB drive disk no is Disk 1.

4. In this step you need to enter all the below commands one by one and hit enter. As these commands are self explanatory, you can easily guess what these commands do.
SELECT DISK 1 (Replace DISK 1 with your disk number)
CLEAN
CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY
SELECT PARTITION 1
ACTIVE
FORMAT FS=NTFS
(Format process may take few seconds)
ASSIGN
EXIT

Don’t close the command prompt as we need to execute one more command at the next step. Just minimize it.

5. Insert your Windows DVD in the optical drive and note down the drive letter of the optical drive and USB media. Here I use “D” as my optical (DVD) drive letter and “H” as my USB drive letter.

6. Go back to command prompt and execute the following commands:

D:CD BOOT and hit enter. Where “D” is your DVD drive letter.
CD BOOT and hit enter to see the below message.
BOOTSECT.EXE/NT60 H:
(Where “H” is your USB drive letter)

7. Copy Windows DVD contents to USB.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice Tutorial mate i used this method until i found a free piece of software called Rufus Bootable USB and it makes a bootable usb iin a matter of minutes

when using some usb writing software it will write protect your usb without notifying you until you goto format it and cant

I use RUFUS the best easy way to create bootable USB

RUFUS

careful abut post clocking

as looks likely

There is NOW a new tool called windows media creation tool.
This is mainly for upgrading to Windows 10..tool will download then install Windows 10 on your device..
For using a pre activated copy of Windows always try Windows 7 usb tool for any version of Windows but it can be a bit temperamental with certain iso..this is when you use rufus or the like.

Ive used this tool to create bootable usb's or hdd's with extra functions as well

Also ive used rufus with murphys Windows SuperAIO great tool for system builders all versions of windows untouched

Ive also noticed that microsoft Surface Pro 3, only boot from a FAT32 formatted memory sticks think its something to do with the UEFI bios only supporting FAT32, so make sure its not NTFS formatted

rufus & windows media creation tool works for me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back