How to build Pli image no need of password public.

ok ive just woke up so forgive me if this is a stupid question but have you tried using the backup suite plugin to make a full USB backup of the image ? cant try it my self as i dont have a twin but i cant see whay it would not work.

Just had a look so long as the correct mkfs.jffs2 is put in /usr/bin on the twin I don't see why this shouldn't work with a bit of tweaking.

No pli would not be interested in this, they want full source
Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.
I don't think what we have been given meets the above requirements, I don't think it gets anywhere near.

We have to be happy with the bone we have been thrown even if it is insufficient it is all we have and are likely to get.

pli say that driver files are ok to post as closed binaries, and really, all the stuff supplied does, is overlay drivers onto a working vu+duo filesystem

so, the drivers could be submited to openpli, then is 'only' needs the iQ 'team of experts' to simply 'Create an openembedded patch and post it.'

Unless i'm very mistaken
Code:
so everything in /lib/modules/2.6.18-7.3/kernel/ needs to be open sourced as per the gpl
This method is not making a whole image for the box it is making the rootfs area only so I think it needs a bit more work to meet the requirements.
Have the pli team seen what is intended to be submitted and agreed in principle to it ?
I have seen the original openvix code and it does have the linux kernel as open source so it's not like it's not available it just hasn't been given to us here, I have attached some of what the vix boys have.
I maybe paranoid but I get the impression the vix boys sorted the code for the iq team and they either don't understand the oe environment or upset the vix boys in some way.
The vix boys had more information last November than we are being offered now ?.
I have been working 70+ hour weeks but if I get some time over the weekend I will see about getting the openvix stuff into the pli environment.
As you know I have already built an image with the oe_kernel.bin weeks ago in the openpli environment.

Attachments

• files.zip
    58.7 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:
is that what PLi have said to you personally Dude ?

pli say that driver files are ok to post as closed binaries, and really, all the stuff supplied does, is overlay drivers onto a working vu+duo filesystem

so, the drivers could be submited to openpli, then is 'only' needs the iQ 'team of experts' to simply 'Create an openembedded patch and post it.'

theyve only said to me whats posted openly on the pli 3rd party forum m8

i think as ellie has pointed out, that what pli require for the twin to be supported by them, is above iQ's abilities, and im not prepared to learn whats needed to keep things up to date with openpli when things asked for have repeatedly not been delivered in the past

getting things implemented PROPERLY with openpli, would be a massive boost for TM, as EVERY receiver with official openpli support has been a huge success

theyve only said to me whats posted openly on the pli 3rd party forum m8

i think as ellie has pointed out, that what pli require for the twin to be supported by them, is above iQ's abilities, and im not prepared to learn whats needed to keep things up to date with openpli when things asked for have repeatedly not been delivered in the past

getting things implemented PROPERLY with openpli, would be a massive boost for TM, as EVERY receiver with official openpli support has been a huge success
What I don't understand is vix did all the hard work for IQ last year so why are IQ still farting about ?
Unless they have done so many ugly hacks they are embaressed to post the code.

This is how we used to do the squashedfs on the dm500 boxes

So you need to find what mtdblock the jffs2 is on
Code:
mount it to say /tmp/root
tarball it

copy to a linux desktop and untar it.

have a play then
./mkfs.jffs2 --disable-compressor=lzo --compression-mode=size --eraseblock=0x20000 -p -n -l --pagesize=0x800 --root=$DEST_ROOT --output=update/tmtwin/cfe/oe_rootfs.bin

The --root=$DEST_ROOT would depend but following this as a rough guide it would be --root=./root the ./root means where I am and I can see /root with an ls you could put --root=/tmp/root
So long as the mkfs.jffs2 supplied by tm is on the desktop it will work without any need for a build environment.

To be honest it should work on the box without the need to tarball it up at all unless there is not enough memory, you could put the mkfs.jffs2 file in the /bin directory on the box and leave it there.

rootfs comes up as mtd1, but having prob mounting it

Working fine here
Code:
It needs to be mounted to the hdd due to space limitations.

Last edited:
ok, ive created a script thatll mount, copy and get everything ready for a backup to be created, the mkfs.jffs2 file is in place, but get this error

Code:

EDIT: this is running it on the receiver with mkfs'jffs2 in /bin/ and CHMOD to 755

Last edited:
It's not a mipsel mkfs.jffs2 you will need to get one.
Most backup programs should have one.
tsflashbackup has an old one in not sure if it will work or not

try this one
It needs the lib files included to work.
Put the mkfs.jffs2 where it is and adjust your script to just call it as is, /user/bin is in the path.
These files work ok and have been taken from the openpli vuduo environment.

Attachments

• usr.zip
    67.8 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Killed my box, won't take a flash from the usb stick :(
Is there any other way to do it ?
Killed it with
Code:
I don't have a real hdd and use a network mount, it said it couldn't transfer the file so lesson learnt ie backup to a usb stick as thats where it would flash from.
bootloader and linux are still intact.

Last edited:
Can I take the lack of replys to
Killed my box, won't take a flash from the usb stick
Is there any other way to do it ?
To say I now have a doorstop ?

when I had Mine ellie I only flashed it via USB, I dont know if there is a miniroot way ?

I did upgrade the bootloader once with a programme

but image flashing I really dont know, sorry mate

Can I take the lack of replys to

To say I now have a doorstop ?

Sorry don't have one to advise :(

Can they not be done through a serial port or similar?

Sent from my Xperia X10 using Tapatalk 2

Can the receiver be booted up using any USB-based linux image? Then at least you could SSH or FTP onto it and manually install the required files to get it boot up normally?

You could try using iq image dated 08.03.12 it has all three files, bootloader, Kernel and image

Have you tried reflashing the bootloader by serial cable.

Going to try it just waiting for a null modem cable from fleabay. I was hoping there was a miniweb equivalent.
@jsaw will have a try later.
All I get is starting and the moving 000.
I was having problems flashing it before and got impatient, poor Rat has had me on the phone a few times trying to flash it before I killed it, if I could flash it I wouldn't have gone through all this backup stuff.

Have you tried reflashing the bootloader by serial cable.

As Abu said, you should be able to redo the bootloader by serial through Control Center. I would take a guess at that should get you to be able to reflash image by USB afterwards, but never done it myself.

PM if you can't find link to the software

Back