How secure is Windows Firewall?

MA

Childrens but still respected
Reaction score
How secure is windows firewall? i've heard that it is the 'weakest' firewall out there. Should it be used as a main firewall? or just to supplement another?

thanx, i've done all the tests, it said "This port has not responded to any of our probes. It appears to be completely stealthed." for every test.

The windows firewall does the job thats all u need really if u want another firewall then download the ZoneAlarm one mate :)

yeah, but i heard that having more than 1 firewall is actually like having no firewall at all, something about they work against each other :confused:

have one or the other m8 but as u see by the test u ran xp firewall,all ports was stelth :) so nothing was getting in ;)

MA said:
yeah, but i heard that having more than 1 firewall is actually like having no firewall at all, something about they work against each other :confused:

I think that applies to AV software only, as one conflicts with the other each thinks its seeing suspicious activity.

My laptop has only XP firewall installed, and haven't had any problems. All ports reportedly in stealth mode.

Running Blackice Defender on main pc, which is a bitch to setup as it's not very user friendly.

Windows Firewall works fine for me! - but you should also run a
virus checker every so often - i had a cih virus recently - but it
was installed from a dodgy cd - so avg pro picked it up - so
don't think the firewall is the only protection you need........

guys,

norton internet security 2005 is the best internet security around. I'v been using it for quite long time and it works great. I'v got licenced version with which I'm quite happy to burn cd for any of you. I will only charge for postage, envelop & blank CD nothing extra.

PM me guys.

cheers

norton is a good bit of kit but its a memory hog as im with aol i use there free mcafee firewall but have 2 or 3 antivirus scanners and spyware scanners installed but only run them one at a time

windows firewall is the worst firewall out there.

the hackers learned how to hack it before windows xp was even released, including sp2.

and another thing, people will say this firewall and that firewall are great, its when you have been hacked that you realise its not so great, thats why its important to use a good firewall to start with and avoid getting hacked.

norton internet security is a cpu and memory hog its more bloated than lisa riley on steroids!
xp sp2 firewall isnt bad for what it is, if you are behind a decent router with firewall you will be ok for a lot of problems, however there are a number of firewalls that will block every single port until you open it and stop outgoing access to them ports aswell.

btw symantec do make a rather lighter firewall attached with symantec client security, after downloading two reg fixes its leaner than an anorexic with the runs.

NiKEUS said:
norton internet security is a cpu and memory hog its more bloated than lisa riley on steroids!
xp sp2 firewall isnt bad for what it is, if you are behind a decent router with firewall you will be ok for a lot of problems, however there are a number of firewalls that will block every single port until you open it and stop outgoing access to them ports aswell.
btw symantec do make a rather lighter firewall attached with symantec client security, after downloading two reg fixes its leaner than an anorexic with the runs.
i dont agree, norton internet security isnt a cpu and memory hog, if you have proof it is then let us see please mate :Cheers:

thomson said:
windows firewall is the worst firewall out there.
the hackers learned how to hack it before windows xp was even released, including sp2.
and another thing, people will say this firewall and that firewall are great, its when you have been hacked that you realise its not so great, thats why its important to use a good firewall to start with and avoid getting hacked.

Windows firewall seems fine for me. Like all software firewalls it can be disabled if malware gets onto your PC (which usually needs some user interaction).

@ Thomson
Xp firewall is safe m8 maybe not the very best of the best but up there with them :)
try the test on the 1st page of this with Xp firewall and all ports will be stealth or closed ;)

its what u like and used to I suppose

Back