CD & DVD how long is a dvd?

stefblak

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
i want to burn a full tv series to dvd(s), and i want to know how long is the running time on a standard dvd? then i can work out how many dvds to use.

120 mins or 240 for a dual layer. It maybe worth getting some dual layers so you could burn more to one disc, i got 10 just for this.

The movie length you can fit on a DVD is determined by the compression / quality used. It is possible to squeeze 8 to 10 hours of footage onto a disc but don't expect better then VHS quality at that rate.

I would add that consider your source data, if you are downloading xvid at 400mb per 45min then burning 2 or 3 episodes per DVD will not improve the quality, were as if you have say HD capture at 1.6GB per 45 min then you will lose quality putting 5 or 6 on one DVD.

Generally accepted ratio on the downloads seems to be 4 x 45min episodes per DVD giving a run time of around 3 hours.

Oneman is spot on, in that it depends. Personally, I've only got a standard CRT TV, so I can get away with 5-6 episodes per standard disc. I'm sure on a large HD TV they'd look awful, but for me they work fine. You could various combinations to see what suits you. But then again, discs are so cheap these days you may as well use the minimum episodes per disc if you're that bothered about quality.

using convertx2dvd i have got 7x40 mins on a dvd5 ie 24 prison break ect with no notible difference in quality

edogg

With most burning softwares you can check the compression and size that will fit on a DVD i.e HQ, Standard, Below Standard and so on Nero is quite good for that.

Billy

Back