How great is the PS3?

karym6

DW Regular
Reaction score
Thought it was about time we had a poll to see how great the PS3 is.

Naturally, all the 360 fanboys who dont know what a good console is are more than happy to cast their vote!!

does what i ask of it but if only it was hacked :(

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

I honestly think you are a playstaion fanboy read a few threads where you try slag the 360 and say how much better you think the ps3 is aslong as your happy with whatever console you have then thats fine.Only thing better about the ps3 is its also a blu ray player and only thing better about 360 over ps3 is its hacked

The fact of the matter is this, as a hybred multimedia upscaling blu ray dvd player that will record Live TV to its hard drive the PS3 is unparralled, it can also play games but as a solid games machine it sucks and sucks badly.
The lack of exclusive titles and terrible multiplayer capabilities make it a dire gaming experience especially where social networking is concerned. As I stated its a hybred machine a jack of trades master of none, I have my PS3 in my bedroom as a DVD player and multimedia hub that is hooked up to my TVersity media server all done wirelessly and Im quite happy using it in this way especially for HD content. Only 2 games have come out that are exclusive to PS3 that I can honestly say are even worth playing and they are way too short thats Ratchet and Clank and Uncharted Drakes fortune. The 360 on the other hand as a games machine will always beat the PS3 as it handles textures better and anti aliasing making for a much better gaming performance graphically, the xbox live gaming service is also unparralled and as a social networking experience is unrivalled, in essence if you are into gaming its a much better option than the PS3, but if you are into more of an overall entertainment package and you just play games on a very casual level then get PS3. Personnally I have 2 360 consoles and a PS3 and there is room in my life for both because both have strenghts and weaknesses. Unlike the Wii whichs ingenuity I very much grew bored with quickly, I would take a PS360 combo anytime over that overhyped pile of crap named after what you do when you piss.

It's incredibly dissapointing to be honest. :(

My biggest gripe is that the games need to be installed, WTF is that all about?

I sat today and downloaded a 899mb game demo, on my 20mb connection it downloaded nice and quick but then I had to sit for an incredible 15 minutes while it installed - Xbox360 lets you play the games instantly, nothing is saved to the hard drive - infact I don't even own a hard drive for my 360.

It also refuses to stream a few of my Laurel and Hardy movies - how dare it! - something that the 360 does impeccably

I think I'll go fold some proteins, lol

@ Prag, what you've just posted is my view exactly mate.

the only reason there are no installs on the xbox360, is because not all 360's come with hard drives. if the core console was never released, and hard drives were standard. then the 360 would have installs too.

also, I have noticed a lot of PS3 games asking if you want to install it or not now. For instance, Time Crisis 4 and GTA4 ask you if you want to install it before you play it for the first time.

Its a pain in the ass, especially for Assasins Creed.

the only reason there are no installs on the xbox360, is because not all 360's come with hard drives. if the core console was never released, and hard drives were standard. then the 360 would have installs too.

Urm :err: ?

WHY?

Explain please.

haha, Witchys getting his arse spanked :p

Yes but my sex life has nothing to do with you!

;)

@ Karym, that's good news mate, hopefully more developers will follow suit.

It's a complete pain in the arse .

WHY?

Explain please.
I think he means that the fact that not all 360 games come with an HDD, the games dont get installed.

I would imagine that the only reason it happens on the PS3 is to speed up loading times (which it does for GTA4 quite a bit).

Also, the 360 only has a 20gb HDD, compared with the mammoth 40gb offered by the PS3.

Essentially though, the concept of an HDD for the 360 is a different thing compared to the PS3, MS would probably prefer it to be there purely for saves etc. Whilst Sony would like to push its media center options.

Either way, its a pain on the PS3 and as witchy says, hopefully more developers will take the hint that sometimes you just dont want to do it.

I read somewhere that they used HDD installs as the transfer rate for the Blu-Ray wasn't fast enough, so they loaded a percentage of the code on the HDD. This doesn't make any sense to me to be honest as a Blu-Ray player reads massive amounts of data while it's playng a disc, DVD players have much less data to read so in my book that makes the data throughput of Blu-Ray much faster than DVD.

The xbox360 can come with a 120Gb drive mate, not a paltry 20gb, considerably more than the PS3's 40/60Gb drives. Microsofts Video-on-Demand service stores the High Definition movies on the hard drive aswell mate, remember the PS3 is the console that's catching up, not the other way round.

The 360's is already an online multimedia tool.

One reason i have heard is that it cuts down on loading times of cutscenes, levels etc. Is there any difference between the 360 loading times and the PS3?

Depends on the game mate.

It really depends on how well the game was coded, most 360 games boot up almost instantly and extra scenes are loaded into memory while the previous section is still being played, this is an example of good coding.

Utter shit coding is games like Juiced 2 on the 360 which wants to display a loading screen at every oppertunity and the loading between levels takes far too long.

The thing is, the 360 doesn't cache anything onto a HDD and I reckon about 80% of games load very quickly, no real frustrating waiting times, whereas the PS3 caches stuff which in itself takes about 20 minutes then even after the stuff is stored on the HDD we still get some shitty loading times.

WHY?

Explain please.

a few developers in the recent past have approached microsoft to ask them whether or not they couple force people to install data to the 360 hard drive. and were told by microsoft that they couldnt do this, as it would exclude some 360 owners. the 360 owners being the people who went for the bargain basement version, with out the hard drive.

the developers are wanting to use this feature on the 360, but it wont happen because microsoft wouldnt let them.

its probably just aswell, think how quickly that 20gb hard drive would be filled. then you would be forced to go out and pay what ever rediculous price microsoft charge for their hard drives these days.

That's true mate, I forgot about that.

But look at the result of them not allowing HDD storage for games.....developers are being forced to write code that runs quickly, so far the only game I know of on the 360 that has piss poor loading times (and I really mean piss poor, fooking attrocious infact) is Juiced 2, everything else is sweet and it runs directly from DVD to RAM.

There is absolutely no need for HDD storage on the 360, and probably at the end of the day there is even less need to run it from HDD on the PS3, IMO most game devs are notoriously lazy and they are constantly looking for shortcuts instead of writing code that runs faster.

One question, does everything need to be installed on the HDD, can nothing run directly from disc?

I mean the PSX and PS2 did it exceptionally well, so why not the PS3?

That's true mate, I forgot about that.

But look at the result of them not allowing HDD storage for games.....developers are being forced to write code that runs quickly, so far the only game I know of on the 360 that has piss poor loading times (and I really mean piss poor, fooking attrocious infact) is Juiced 2, everything else is sweet and it runs directly from DVD to RAM.

There is absolutely no need for HDD storage on the 360, and probably at the end of the day there is even less need to run it from HDD on the PS3, IMO most game devs are notoriously lazy and they are constantly looking for shortcuts instead of writing code that runs faster.

One question, does everything need to be installed on the HDD, can nothing run directly from disc?

I mean the PSX and PS2 did it exceptionally well, so why not the PS3?

not everything needs to be installed to hard drive. only some of the code, not sure which parts or anything.

there isnt any real need to have this on the ps3. u just have to look at Uncharted to see what can be acheived on the ps3 without having to install to hard drive. me personally, i dont care about the installs. do it once, then thats it. except on metal gear solid, were u have to do a few installs during the game. they only take 2mins though. so no big deal.

In this day and age, it's a little retarded mate :)

Hey, I'm spending more time in the PS3 section than the 360 section!

WTF!?

Back