How does everyone record from the dbox ?

de_deej

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi,

I am thinking of buying a Tivo or HD Recorder as I will not be able to explain recording on to the PC to my misses as she has only just got the hang of Sky+ which is going very soon (she isn't happy).

Anyway my question is what are you using to record the dbox content ? I know there are some issues with Macrovision on DVD/HD Recorders, and I'm not that keen to spend £10 a month for Tivo but does anyone know how the manual recording option works.

Your opinions please,

de_deej

You set it up to talk to your pC.
When you want to record anything, press Blue, Red and the same to stop it

There seems to be mavrovision problems with some makes of dvd/hd recorders and some work no problem,if you plan on going that way i would sugest finding out which makes work ok.

But then again if you have a big enough hard drive on your PC, you can always run "DBOXWinServer" software as a BACKGROUND SERVICE, and then do as swanside says... just press blue button then red button to record. When you want to stop, press the same buttons again.

Plus some of the latest versions of Sportster won't work - tried Gav's 1.76 I think on a couple of boxes and it kept throwing back errors. I've found Cryo's 1.73 the most reliable so far.

swanside said:
You set it up to talk to your pC.
When you want to record anything, press Blue, Red and the same to stop it

I can't as I know it would be in possible to show the misses how it works, I can't deal with the ear full I will get if eastenders f**ks up. I'm looking for somethin other than the pc option.

thanks,

de_deej

derekwd said:
There seems to be mavrovision problems with some makes of dvd/hd recorders and some work no problem,if you plan on going that way i would sugest finding out which makes work ok.

exactly why I started this thread I was wondering if any one had any working.

de_deej

liamcrayden said:
But then again if you have a big enough hard drive on your PC, you can always run "DBOXWinServer" software as a BACKGROUND SERVICE, and then do as swanside says... just press blue button then red button to record. When you want to stop, press the same buttons again.

only got a wireless laptop, I looked into getting a media centre but to expensive and as above the misses would hate it.

Sounds fun though

de_deej

Looks like at the moment it will be the good old vcr, will have to blow the dust of it.

de_deej

de_deej said:
only got a wireless laptop, I looked into getting a media centre but to expensive and as above the misses would hate it.
Sounds fun though
de_deej

wireless laptop would be great... grab a wireless bridge or wireless acesss point from eBay for under £15 and whack it on the dbox.... WIRELESS streaming and recording all around the house :) ... thats what I do anyway.

I have a philips HDRW 720 dvd/hd recorder and works 100% with dbox, And my son has just bought one of the new ones availible at aldi and that works with his dbox no probs, its not as flexible as my philips but its a lot cheaper.
cheers derek

derekwd said:
I have a philips HDRW 720 dvd/hd recorder and works 100% with dbox, And my son has just bought one of the new ones availible at aldi and that works with his dbox no probs, its not as flexible as my philips but its a lot cheaper.
cheers derek

Thanks I'll have a look into them later. Does the philips have the ability to turn the box over ?

Thanks,

de_deej

Yes and no, if its a sagem it will change the channel on the dbox useing the guide plus system ( basicly its a a channel list you scroll to the program you want to record and its 1 button record ) works no probs with the ir zapper that comes with it, however if its a nokia it sends the code twice for some reason ie. if you try to record from channel 12 it sends 1212, never chanced emailing philips about it incase the wonder why i have a dbox !
Exellent machine though.
Derek

I find the dbox in general to be pretty reliable, until you bring network streaming/recording into the equation - then it just does whatever it feels like. I'm gonna go down the route of using a tuner card in my PC & hooking the dbox up to that (via svideo). A bit of programming will sort out the channel changing with a http://dbox.ip.address/control/zapto?<channel number> ;)

Back