How do you 'reflow' Atmels?

english

Inactive User
Reaction score
i know a ton of you already know this but it's not in my mental knowledge base :) i would be very grateful to know if it can be done by someone of limited soldering skills i.e. me (does it even mean soldering ? i havent a clue lol)

thanks chaps

depends on your soldering skills?
The best way i find is to prop the box on an angle so you can get a ball of good quality solder on the top pin of the atmel then drag it down the pins slowly resoldering them if any get joined then you get a very fine tip on your iron clean it off then draw the joined solder from the legs to the iron.
You must use good quality fluxed solder though its so much easyer....

depends on your soldering skills?
The best way i find is to prop the box on an angle so you can get a ball of good quality solder on the top pin of the atmel then drag it down the pins slowly resoldering them if any get joined then you get a very fine tip on your iron clean it off then draw the joined solder from the legs to the iron.
You must use good quality fluxed solder though its so much easyer....

you're a star

so it is soldering

hmmmm

i think my iron is a bit too big to do this, can someone recommend the appropriate soldering iron to do the job?

drag it down then clean it up , nice info mate , thanks a lot :)

i know a ton of you already know this but it's not in my mental knowledge base :) i would be very grateful to know if it can be done by someone of limited soldering skills i.e. me (does it even mean soldering ? i havent a clue lol)

thanks chaps

I know this is not quite what your asking but a high powered hair dryer pointed at the atmel can work a treat. Not as good as properly resoldering them but a hell of alot easier if you are unsure.

I know this is not quite what your asking but a high powered hair dryer pointed at the atmel can work a treat. Not as good as properly resoldering them but a hell of alot easier if you are unsure.

thanks boss, that is what i'm asking in a way .. 'tis a solution

that's option one then :)

: colors1 : colors1

this is what you want.... h**p://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?TabID=1&ModuleNo=34959&doy=25m2

ahh yes more sterling DW info :) bookmarked thanks mate
on a personal note, those erodia irons are ok but the tips do just what the name says... they erode fast... and aint cheep either :( binned mine...

apply liquid flux to the reflowing object u want to do

use a heatgun / or solder pro

but anything with heat blowing out

and heat it unitl the flux evaporates and solder melts

dont move it

let it cool down

and there u reflowed ur atmels

easiest way in my opinion

Fes you the man

think I need to learn a bit more about soldering though lol

trial and error rodney , trial and error :)

Fes you the man

think I need to learn a bit more about soldering though lol

trial and error rodney , trial and error :)

when it comes to soldering u can grab guides of google

and remeber practice and practice

thats how i did it
well without books .etc

i used to buy those little build it ur self electronic kits from maplin

the 1's with led's .etc

i used them as practice

lol

thats the way to do it mate, trial and error. you landed on ur feet there figuring that one out (soldering)

thing is most hacks these days are software based

software i can deal with

soldering ,, hmm lol

old skool ;)

first one i did was with some fluxite paste and a paint stripping gun on low setting....i no it was a bit severe but i classed the box a scrap so nothing to lose....a bit rough but it worked...got a rework now.. a hell of a lot easier.....

I used a heat gun worked fine on 2000 showing 8888

I expect everyone who can lift & replace or reflow atmels has their own method - personally I have stopped using hot air altogether, i just do it with a soldering iron using the 'bridge solder' method, i.e. flood the legs with solder so all legs are bridged then remove the excess with solder wick. Gives a very neat result and 100% reliable.

I expect everyone who can lift & replace or reflow atmels has their own method - personally I have stopped using hot air altogether, i just do it with a soldering iron using the 'bridge solder' method, i.e. flood the legs with solder so all legs are bridged then remove the excess with solder wick. Gives a very neat result and 100% reliable.

Have never used this method will give it a go next time needs be. I use a fine point soldering iron and heat each leg in turn and apply a minute amount of solder to each leg, then use a knife blade to sort out any bridged legs.

Back