How do you blow up a picture without degrading quality?

sargie

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
The missus wants me to print some large a4 photos of the kids which obviously means enlarging standard photos of them is there any way of doing it without them coming out pixelated?

My mum used to get them done at asda when i was younger so i presume there is.

it really depends on the quality of the original photo,, ie the higher the megapixel the better the picture....you can create the enlargement using photoshop or if the quality is good you can easily do it through xp/vista's very own picture wizard.....

make sure you have the original photo's stored on your p.c. (via memory card or scanned).
save the file to my pictures then right click on the image then click on print...
then windows photo printing wizard should automatically start..
click next then select your photograph for printing,
then select which way you want to position the print ie A4 or 10x12 or passport etc.
then go to printing properties to set up the type of photo paper your using and quality settings (try not to use the best photo as this loods the paper and you get just as good using the photo option)
and thats it

hope this helps mate..

i found wrapping a picture round a a fire cracker blows it up well...

The missus wants me to print some large a4 photos of the kids which obviously means enlarging standard photos of them is there any way of doing it without them coming out pixelated?

My mum used to get them done at asda when i was younger so i presume there is.

In short pal its impossible when using digital images, the only way is using traditional film.

All the above advise is valid though; if you use a higher resolution you have got more detail to lesson the effect as the picture gets larger.

It pure maths mate, if your original pic is 10 dots per inch and you blow it up to twice the size it now only has 5 dots per inch.

Messa

If pixellation gets too bad at your chosen size you can usually use an interpolation program to "fill in" missing pixels with a best guess algorithm. Quite a few of the standard photo manipulation softwares will have an option to do this.

Even a simple algorithm like pixel doubling can improve enlargements.

Its not as good as native hi-res but its usually far better than a pixellated lo-res.

Last edited:
If pixellation gets too bad at your chosen size you can usually use an interpolation program to "fill in" missing pixels with a best guess algorithm. Quite a few of the standard photo manipulation softwares will have an option to do this.

Even a simple algorithm like pixel doubling can improve enlargements.

Its not as good as native hi-res but its usually far better than a pixellated lo-res.

Nozzer that is exactly what i was thinking of but had no idea what it was called lol. Not sure if im correct but doesnt digital tv do the same thing which is why it sometimes doesnt look right?

Would photoshop have this tech on it?

Nozzer that is exactly what i was thinking of but had no idea what it was called lol. Not sure if im correct but doesnt digital tv do the same thing which is why it sometimes doesnt look right?

lol. Up scaling! but as my mum used to say, "you cant make a silk purse out of a sow's ear"! if the resolution is too low for a 8x10. interpolation will not help. unless you are a very skilled artist and you redraw section to restore them.

honestly, if you want 8x10 quality pics. get an old film camera. it'll knock the spots off sub £400 digi cams. though you need good film and printers. they can pop it on a Cd/DvD too. something like an old, metal, Olympus trip, Canon af 35 ML or any compact with a T* lens will do this. if you are lucky enough to find an Olympus XA or a Contax T. they will beat the, outright. quality of any sub £1000 DSLR. and it goes without saying a, descent, SLR from Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Leica or Minolta (film cameras) still outperform Digi canms of less than £2000.

Last edited:
Basically what you need mate is the actual size of final print to be at 300dpi for great quality, around 260dpi for good and say 180dpi for ok quality. So if you have a 8x10 photo you will need to scan it in with a target resolution of 300dpi @ a4. Hope this helps

Take them to Staples. They'll do anything you want using professional equipment and doesn't cost the earth.

Yes Photoshop has some of the best algorithms for enlarging an image. You'll be surprised as to how good it can look.

Scan at 300dpi and edit in Photoshop

.... though you need good film and printers. they can pop it on a Cd/DvD too.

Agreed, a standard camera will produce much better resolution than anything but mega-expensive digital cameras but if your just going to digitise and put it on cd/dvd then your very likely going to lose that advantage. Most scanners will give you 300-400dpi, if your lucky !

If your going to use standard film then you need to use standard film techniques and do a proper enlargement without digitising.

i am talking about pictures from sd cards the missus has the kodak easyshare printer dock g600 which produces excellent quality prints but only at the standard size or below.

I have a epson stylus r285 now and i am well impressed with the quality of phto's it prints on premium photo paper even with unofficial ink in my cis.

In my opinion, none of this will work to your satisfaction using printers and scanners meant for home use. It's also gonna take you most of the day to achieve. My previous post is valid.

i am talking about pictures from sd cards the missus has the kodak easyshare printer dock g600 which produces excellent quality prints but only at the standard size or below.

I have a epson stylus r285 now and i am well impressed with the quality of phto's it prints on premium photo paper even with unofficial ink in my cis.

Have you managed to enlarge them mate? let me know if you havent i'll have them done for you.

Agreed, a standard camera will produce much better resolution than anything but mega-expensive digital cameras but if your just going to digitise and put it on cd/dvd then your very likely going to lose that advantage. Most scanners will give you 300-400dpi, if your lucky !

If your going to use standard film then you need to use standard film techniques and do a proper enlargement without digitising.

I quite agree. but as i am looking at quality. i would never consider home digitising. and pro scanning can give me, virtually the same quality scan, as the original. i totally see the convenience of digi cameras, i use one myself. but for quality? no way. not only is the absolute quality well down on, print film, never mind Transparency film. but most of the users save in JPG, further adding to the degradation of outright quality.( that's why PhotoShop has "enhance" filters) to be of real, quality, the images need to be saved in RAW format, which few of us use. and its still way down on the quality of film.

enhancing an already degraded image, as suggested, gets you a peeped up degraded image. nothing more. the only way to avoid this is have a better quality image to start with. lets face it, with enhancing, how o earth can a program tell what was on the picture, but not recorded because of lack of pixels? it can guess, but nothing more.

as for the cost of scanning? you get an awful lot of scans for the £2000 pluse top digi SLR costs. my 40 year old Canon F1 cost £300 25 years ago. takes better quality pictures than the most expensive DSLR sold. so i have stacks of money to pay for scans, before it cost me a fraction of the cost most DSLR buyers have paid for lower quality units. its often forgotten that these new DSLR's cant do any thing, except auto focus, that my old F1 could not do with one 1.5v battery as power. all those years ago.

Last edited:
I just done this to an aold passport size photo for my sons girlfriend
it was of her dad and the only photo she had of him.
What i done was take a photo of the photo close up and with a macro 5x lens fitted to my camera which enlarged it and will go well above A4 size without any pixelation i did need to touch up the pic in photoshop as the original was damaged and creased up but the finished pic was almost perfect.

if you havent a scanner or dont like the quality of your scanner then this imo works much better.

you just need to get the light right as you will be holding your camera about an inch away from the original pic.

a good macro lens on a good slr will achieve a very detailed high res original. a copy is never going to be as good as an original.

Folks, 50% of you are barking up the wrong forrest, never mind tree!

He is talking about digital images already taken and stored on a memory card, not negatives, original prints etc etc.

So, as I said, increasing the size of a digital image WILL reduce the quality, all you can do is minimise loss.

Full Stop.

Messa

Back