How do pets become come such a big part of your life.

MOAMB

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
We had to put the cat to sleep today. :rip:

The Mrs has had the cat for around 7 years (iv been here for 4 years) and she loved her a much as you can love any pet (she use to joke i would go before the cat and im sure she ment it :Fish:)

The cat has had cancer for a good couple of years but lead a good life and never went without anything she needed. We knew it would happen but it didnt make it any easier when it was time. The cat has been ill for sometime but i do not agree with just putting them to sleep unless they are suffering and i said to the Mrs i would know when it was time and today was the day.

The cat done nothing apart from sleep, eat and shit but it still feels empty in the flat.

Yes its a sunday so had to use the emergency vet but i knew she was suffering so i had to put her to sleep today but i dont know how the vets sleep at nite with there charges. I mean £69 just to see the vet then £45 to have her put to sleep and then i paid to have her cremated a total of £213.00. At the end of the day i had to pay it because money does not come in to it and i could have waited till tomorrow but there is no way i would see her suffer put sure they dont need to charge that much?

:rip: Maggie. Miss you already. Sleep tight. :night:

Last edited:
We haven't had a pet in over 20 years I guess...cos I swore I wouldn't want to see my wife in tears like when we had to put her dog down, she had her for 15 years and was really attached to her...even I liked her.

Sorry to hear you had to put the cat down but you know it was the right thing. Vets are fekkin extortionists.

=jaffa;1801599]...even I liked her.

Yes i have to admite i wasnt expecting to feel this sad when it was her time but its so so hard to see the Mrs so upset.

Yes mate it was her time and was for the best and the mrs knows that too.

Not being funny here m8....but I just remembered you are doing the charity triathlon for cancer. (you can sponsor him in his sig).

But cancer research will also benefit animals.

what a sad story we have always had pets and just like you we have had to make some very difficult decisions.Do you think you will get another cat ?

Sorry to hear about your cat but you did the right thing.

I have had our dog ellie since 1999 and she was over 4 when I got her.

She has a tumour on her left eyelid and is having it removed on Tuesday, she will be staying at the vets Monday night and i'm hoping to collect her Tuesday night.

I am bricking it in case she doesn't pull through as she is no spring chicken, I will be devasted if she doesn't make it.

When I got her I was looking after her for a friend for 2 weeks while he found her a new home, I think he stopped looking once I took her.

The op isn't cheap £98 consultation and blood tests and £298 for the op and antibiotics but she is worth it.

Not being funny here m8....but I just remembered you are doing the charity triathlon for cancer. (you can sponsor him in his sig).

But cancer research will also benefit animals.

Not sure about this to be honest, Never really thought about it. Is it the same treatment / drugs for humans and animals? When we was first told she had cancer we was told they could try and treat it but it normally made them ill and depressed.

what a sad story we have always had pets and just like you we have had to make some very difficult decisions.Do you think you will get another cat ?

Not sure to be honest. I know the Mrs would like one but guess to earlie to say. Maggie was from the cats protection so if we did we would probably go there again.

Sorry to hear about your cat MOAM. Our cat died a few years ago - he had a lot of fluid on his chest, probably from a tumour.

We had him for about ten years and it really felt like a big loss when he died. I still miss him.

We decided not to have another pet after him.

I never forget the day my dad took his dog to be put down he was never quite the same coming back with the lead in his hand without his dog we had for 16 years.

He never cried but I knew it broke his heart!

Our dog now is only 7 months, and a right pain in the arse shitting and pissing everywhere but its the mrs dog and she loves it.

So sorry to hear your bad news mate.

Mickie

Because they are sentient beings too, they have a soul as do we. Just like a human, you look into a dog or cats eyes and there is something more there than just biology and instinct...

Because they are sentient beings too, they have a soul as do we. Just like a human, you look into a dog or cats eyes and there is something more there than just biology and instinct...

I was going to say that my dogs can almost communicate with their eyes. You can read their emotions by what there eys do it's quite bizzare.

I watched a docu not long ago about dogs and they read human emotions from our faces just as we do. I think it is that emotional bond that makes them so much more than just a pet.

Also my dogs can be right pains in the arse but at night when your all settled watching tv and youve got a dog curled up on the rug in front of the fire it makes a family seem complete. Ill probs get called a wierdo again but i don't care lol.

Sorry for your loss.

It will ruin me when our dog has to go, she is a proper part of the family.

We have her insured for vets fees, its a bloody good job the expense is incredible, we had her in when she slashed the ligaments and artery in her front paw the fees were over a £1000 if we'd had to pay, through tesco insurance (quidco as well ;-)) it cost us £75

Sorry to hear of your loss :(

maybe in time you'll be able to get another one?

reminds me of a few years back when our dog was put to sleep, she had had a stroke and was struggling to get around etc, i remember my mum coming home from the vet in tears saying the vet was coming in the afternoon to do the deed.

it was done at home and we were all with her when the vet done it so it was the nicest way possible imo. still gets me upset to this day lol.

Back