How do i backup my system?

new2itall

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi!
How do i backup my system to DVD incase of a virus or hardware failure?

I have around 20 GB of data on my C drive and would like to store it and my current computer settings to a DVD disk.

Is this possible and will it act as a boot-up disk too?

Cheers Rich

How big is your current hdd? I think you'll be lucky to get 20gig on a 4.5gB DVD (unless of course you've got a dual layer jobbie), even with max compression. So if you've got lots of data (your files, downloads, music etc), then I'd be tempted to make another partition and move all the data to that, then make a back-up of that with Ghost or Nero Back-up.
As for your system drive, Norton Ghost is by far the best tool, as Dutcho says, you can make a back-up to DVD which will be bootable, so you can restore your system in about 30mins.....

Hope this helps...

Try Acronis True Image

I'm currently using Acronis True Image 9. Fortunatley I have a second hard drive that I can backup an image to, but you can also back up an image to DVD. It allows you to split the image over several DVD's if needed. The image can also be compressed at different rates to allow for more compression but the more you compress the longer it takes.

Hope this helps.

Rob.

Hi m8 I would recomend useing norton ghost its one of the easyest that ive found plus it will split the image into 2gig sizes, plus if you make an bootable floppy using the norton ghost utilitys it will load & burn your image on to cd/dvd disc in doss & it makes it bootable from boot so easy to restore.
if you want to make image in any smaller sizes the the following command could be usefull in doss

ghost.exe -split=700 -auto -sure

you can set the siz to what you want withen the 2gig limit

you can also password protect you images to using the following comands

ghost.exe -pwd=password
password being what the name to change
so could be like the following
ghost.exe -split=2048 -pwd=password -auto -sure -rb
rb will reboot after finish & auto will automatic name the next image & sure comfirms it

Marc

Last edited:
Hd

My hard drive is 40 GB and i have used about 20GB.

Could i just save my pics games and vids to DVD then compress the rest onto DVD.

I have nero 6 will this back up and be bootable?

Rich

I'm pretty sure that if you use the Nero Back-It-Up tool, the resulting cd/dvd will not be bootable. You may well be able to make a bootable back-up, but I think it won't be straight forward.
So I'd go down the Ghost route.

as everyone saying ghost

i would say the same as the rest to use ghost just get your system runing how you like it then use ghost to back it up only take a couple of dvd and make a ghost boot floppy

If you want to use the second hard disk a good FREE disk imaging tool which will copy to different sizes of hard disk is Maxblast4 from the www.maxtor.com website.

Works with all makes.... not just maxtor.

download norton ghost 2003 for free there are plenty on the p2p sites dont go for a newer version as you have to connect to symantec to register by far the best and easiest

Back