How can i make an exact 120mm hole in brick ?

bilabonic

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi All

I am back (virtually) as a slight relapse and out sorting garden.

I plan on fitting 13 led downlighters into the brickwork and have them already.

There is very little scope for clearance as the 'lip' on the units/main body is very small thus i need to drill 120mm holes in masonry.

I have found one bit on fleabay but it's £50 !!!!!!!

Can it be done any other way ?

A smalller bit and a tool to 'file' it bigger ??

Cheers

check out these guys
hxxp://www.holemasters.co.uk/drilling.htm#2

or cheaper to hire

hxxp://www.hirestation.co.uk/hirestation/catalogue/Diamond+Drilling/100005/detail/304.html

might be worth looking at hiring a core cutter m8

Hirebase - Plant & Tool Hire

I was going to suggest that you hire as well. A hole cutter coupled with a SDS hammer drill will give a quick and neat finish. Might find it a bit noisy and dusty though.

Just be aware that there is usual a wear charge so you don't get a nasty surprise when you return the item.

I've got a 120mm diameter diamond cutter right here.

In between my legs.

My penis.

I hate to say this, but v14 is right. Dependent upon the density of the brick, you might get away with using a cheaper off the shelf drill attachment.

I have a sds drill with clutch for the job, been ringing around and they charge by the amount in mm you cut, i need to cut through 11 standard bricks (100mm) so thats 1100mm.

Been quoted £30+vat, but can buy a 117mm one on fleabay for £26 but not sure how long it will last and does not look like sds but it must be surely?

I have a sds drill with clutch for the job, been ringing around and they charge by the amount in mm you cut, i need to cut through 11 standard bricks (100mm) so thats 1100mm.

Been quoted £30+vat, but can buy a 117mm one on fleabay for £26 but not sure how long it will last and does not look like sds but it must be surely?

So how do they know how many mm you've cut through? Do they come and watch you :err:

So how do they know how many mm you've cut through? Do they come and watch you :err:

Exactly ? I wondered that, i told him 10 bricks, should said 2.

They must measure it somehow ??

It's like with the diamond cutting disc rental. They measure how much has been ground off in millimetres.

Back