Sheep worrier.
VIP Member
Reaction score
ill start with the equipment that i have

a wireless usb network adapter 11Mbps Belkin F5D6050u
a wireless notebook network card 11 Mbps Belkin F5D6020
a wireless nootbook network card 54g 54Mbps Belkin F5D7010xx
a wireless cable/DSL gateway router Belkin F5D7230-4

my main PC (XP) is connected to the internet via a USB broadband modem speedtouch 330 and has an epson printer again via USB

i have a laptop (98se) that id like to be able to use on the net and be able to print using the wireless cards

i also have an xbox thats due to be modified that id like to be connected to my main computer for transfering files (i think itd need to be connected to the router??)

id like to also connect my (soon to be purchased) satellite reciever into the network, again for file transfer, and possibly a cable to a 2nd TV for another reciever for card testing purposes ;)

id like to keep everything as wireless as possible but can run cables if needed

do i have everything i need? i know im gonna need a few more bits, i just dont know what. how do i connect it all up? how do i configure it all, how many prozac am i expected to need? will it drive me nuts? will i drive you lot nuts?

all replys and help gratefully recieved

DD

it will drive you nutz but its not to complicated :)

first off you will probably need to hard wire the dreambox and the xbox the rest will be able to use the wireless network

to be honest i would hard wire the PC's and leave the notebook as the only wire free device... i dont care what anyone says i have a wireless network and its not all that... but its good when i use my laptop but my boys pc in the far away room could not get a signal hardly :( (so hardwired)

you will need to have the wireless router in the best location to provide a good signal for machines useing it....

if your wireless router is not a modem aswell you need to keep your internet connection on your PC and share this over the network (either with ics (internet connection sharing) or with 3rd party software, wingate is ment to be good)

but basicly connect all hard wired machines into the routers ports (hopefully it has at least 4 ports aswell as wireless ??) and make sure your router has wireless that has mixed mode (11mb and 54mb (b and g)) because you have 11mb card and 54mb card.

anyway if you need any more info just ask... i probably have not covered it all but when you are ready to set it all up get me on msn i will be able to help hopefully

if im gonna hard wire most of it, which aint a problem, do i need to buy ready made leads? or can i make my own? i can get cat5 cable (if thats the stuff) what ends do i need and how are they wired?

cheers

DD

yeah buy 300 meters of cat5(e) for 23 quid ;)

i bought the tool from ebay (rj45 crimp tool)

no doubt you wont need that much but its well worth the money and good cable very reliable with good tolerance for being run with mains (but would not recommend it).

so make your own is best and give me 5 mins ill give you the wireing guide :)

very simple though they push into the connector and you crimp it tight

[DLMURL]http://www.winnpsb.org/Tutorials/RJ45/default.htm[/DLMURL]

for the wiring

Last edited:
for 4 quid ill buy them ready made lol, nice one

i tried to set up the wireless last year but gave up, then had another go which is why i got normal and 54g kits

the router hasnt got a modem built in, it has an ethernet/wan port that im assuming will need to be connected to the lan port of the main pc?? i can then mount this in the center of the house for the best overall coverage for the wireless and to be a central location for the cables (does this sound right?

cheers

DD

would any of these cables need to be crossover cables?

ill need a 5M from PC to router
then from router
2x 10M to main tv sat reciever and xbox
2x 20M to upstairs sat recievers

right, ive made a start, the router came with a lead, i tried plugging it into the wan port and onthing worked, so i plugged into port 1 of the lan (this all means nothing to me lol) i can type in an IP in IE and it comes up with a setup screen as it should BUT thats it. the router is preset to work with an ethernet BB modem plugged direct into the thing but i got a usb one and i cant find a way to change this, theres a setting to change the router to an access point or wireless only but it looks scarey with all the numbrs and settings but i think ive made progress, ive managed to change my PC bios to find the router and get the router to talk to the PC.

what do i do next lol??

:)

Ok your pc should be plugged into one of the LAN ports of the router, then connect up any other bits to the remaining LAN ports (I think you're gonna run out of them so you might need a hub/switch upstairs)

You want to set the router to Access Point only, and you'll need to set up ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) on your pc for the other computers to have access to the internet, but get the local network set up first.

You'll need to set up the IP addresses for each thing to be different but in the same subnet, for example, your main pc as 192.168.0.1 then the xbox as 192.168.0.2 and so on. Then when they are all networked up you should be able to "see" each one. On your main pc go to Start, Run, then type cmd and hit ok
then try "ping 192.168.0.2" on the command line and hopefully you should get something like this back...

C:\>ping 192.168.0.2

Pinging 192.168.0.2 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 192.168.0.2: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128

Ping statistics for 192.168.0.2:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

C:\>

As long as you get this for each box connected, then they are good to go!

That's the wired part set up, the wireless isn't too hard, but you should at least get the encryption going on it to make it secure.

All this ok so far?

i have to buy the leads for the xbox and dreamboxes (i dont have the dreamboxes yet but want to get the leads in ready), do these need to be crossover leads or normal? on ebay both types say theyre for connecting an xbox

cheers

You want normal cables, not crossover.

Crossover would be for just connecting between two computers, but you are using a router, so you want normal cables.

ive just ordered the cables from ebay, so as soon as they come ill let you know how it goes

right, got the cables, ill connect up the xbox today. i keep getting a problem icon appearing in the taskbar saying that the network hasn't been given an address so conectivity will be limited, any ideas?

cheers

x box is connected and when i turn it on the lan light on the coresponding port comes on so it knows that somethings connected, now what IP numbers do i put into the xbox etc

:)

you need to configure your router for them all to get address's or you will need to setup all the ip's on the machines so they are on the same subnet ;)

hopefully your router acts as a dhcp server and will give out the ip's to all the machines, thats how mine works so im not sure for you.

connect to the http://yourroutersipaddress and see what options it gives you for setting up ip DHCP should give you a range it can give out

i c you are using 192.168.2.1 as the router ? you might want to setup the xbox and the pc and dreambox on the same network see what happens (eg... 192.168.2.X change the X for each machine but not the same as each oterh and dont use 1)

let me know how you get on

what kind of dash are you using on the xbox m8? It tells you what to put in the various ones here. As well as a lot of other info.

Like Mickie says. You can enter static Ip's to each machine, or use the main pc as a dhcp server. It will assign the IP's automatically. You just have to choose a range/scope. The first 3 sets of numbers like 192.168.2 are the network number, and the last one is the machine number. So you could go up to 244 in theory.

Where you would set the scope from 192.168.2.0 to 192.168.2.244.

But either way. It looks like you'll have to make sure the .ini file is right in the dash (which I guess is a gui for the xbox).

Btw I've no experience with them lol. But kinda understand through what little I read on that page :) :)

christ!! the more i get done the more needs doing lol, ive just changed a setting on the router to activate the wireless as well and its now changed the IP to 192.168.2.254 so now im even more confused lol

whats my dash?? is that the xbox settings screen? if so how do i know what version it is

i need a beer lol

I meant to say 254 and not 244 as the maximum lol.

So its still on the same network.

digidude said:
whats my dash?? is that the xbox settings screen?

I can only assume its a user interface/OS, like I said I've no exp with them.

Back