helping hand scanning required

johnny bravo said:
hi mate,
i downloaded all the 4 files, extracted the image and saved it onto my desktop,
now ive tried to flash the image over to my dbox, but nothing is happening its been about 40 minutes, no message is coming on the lcd display to say its "flashing", ive got the crossover cable and null modem connected, but nothing, help

ok, did u FTP in to the Dbox and copy the image file in the 'tmp' folder on the dbox? and then press 'dbox key' on remote then 'settings'? if ur not sure follow liams tut, its got everything.

elite786 said:
ok, did u FTP in to the Dbox and copy the image file in the 'tmp' folder on the dbox? and then press 'dbox key' on remote then 'settings'? if ur not sure follow liams tut, its got everything.
right lads, ive successfully flashed a new image to my box, ie gavs "keywelt squashfs" version 2.1, across to my dbox, addede the latest bham service.xml files, but still get nothing, not even the teresstrial channels, ie ,bbc 1, itv, etc. i have left the channel on to say sky sports hoping that it will catch up with latest keys, but still nothing, and the message i get onscreen is:

101 sky sports

waiting for time....................

I have noticed that in Scan settings " bruteforce" has been replace by "sym6952
and "sym6887", i will use "sym6952" as it is for telewest, any help or ideas guys......thanks in advance

red button blue button post your
ber snr and sig levels

Fergalsworld said:
ber snr and sig levels
just doing a scan at the moment, see if it picks up anything , erm..what is "ber snr and sig levels" ????????

MAN!! i thought this setting up lark would be simple and straight forwrd, but im getting a bit peed off at this moment and feel like chucking the damm thing out the window,,aaaarrgh!!!!

you will get there in the end it will be worth it unless your tuners fooked
post the ber snr and sig levels when you finished scanning
is it a sagem or nokia.

Fergalsworld said:
you will get there in the end it will be worth it unless your tuners fooked
post the ber snr and sig levels when you finished scanning
is it a sagem or nokia.

it has two scarts at the back, so i presume its a nokia dbox2, scan nearly finished

so what are the signs that the tuner is fooked up mate, i remember earlie in this thread someone saying that if it says "waiting for time...." then the tuner is fooked, is that right ?

it will have the manufacturer on the box somewhere
thats why we need to see the BER SNR and SIG levels.

Fergalsworld said:
ber snr and sig levels

ok scan complete, i get the message "no channels were found, please execute a scan"

red button = 26214
blue button = cannot really tell cos it keeps going up and down , but varys between id say 42000 to 45000...what does this mean ?

your snr level is to low it should be over 55000 min usually a good snr is 61000
whats the sig level just curious
remove any splitters put it straight to the cable feed coming in the house
check connections are sound.
if the readings are the same try getting a booster from ar*os £9.99
you can get a full refund if it dont work.
Hope this helps.

Fergalsworld said:
your snr level is to low it should be over 55000 min usually a good snr is 61000
whats the sig level just curious
remove any splitters put it straight to the cable feed coming in the house
check connections are sound.
if the readings are the same try getting a booster from ar*os £9.99
you can get a full refund if it dont work.
Hope this helps.

sig level varies between 42000 to 45000 , approximately the same as the SNR
dont have any splitters, it is connected directly to the cable feed coming into the house, although ive taken approximately 15m of cable to allow me to watck cable in the attic, connections fine, currently have a pace digibox 1000 model , working fine, no probs, but wanted to have a go at this nokia dbox2, seems like i have wasted a lot of money on this dbox2, will try the ar*os thing tommorow, thanks for your help mate, much appreciated, by the way do you think my box is fooked?

does digi box work when connecting to the feed you are using for the dbox
try connecting the dbox to the connection you are using for the digi box
you could try a shorter cable also
you could try a nexgen or boxcracker image they seem to help sometimes
but your snr is way to low see what the booster does.

Last edited:
Fergalsworld said:
does digi box work when connecting to the feed you are using for the dbox
try connecting the dbox to the connection you are using for the digi box
you could try a shorter cable also
you could try a nexgen or boxcracker image they seem to help sometimes
but your snr is way to low see what the booster does.

yes mate, digibox works 100% perfectly, picture and sound sharp and clear, i am using the connection from my digibox, i just take the connection off and connect it to the dbox, might try gav nexgen image, i have no services with twest, however my cable feed was left live, hence my digibox is working, perhaps the sig coming into the house is not at the correct level, i read somewhere in the forum that twest boxes work happily at low sig levels, whereas dbox have to have the signal at the correct level otherwise they will not work correctly, hence freezing problems and slow channel changes...

are you using something like this
h**p://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=27809&criteria=f%20plug%20to%20coax&doy=18m12

yes mate i am, you cannot connect to the dbox otherwise.

chopper-reid said:
ok johnny bravo, i get the exact same problem with my sagem box. try this as it works for me.

do a scan for channels and then press ok when completed. wait 5 seconds then pull the power cord out of the back of the box. wat aprox 30 seconds before powering the box back up. sounds daft but it works for me mate. let me know how you get on

try what i said mate. i had exactly the same problem. this fixed it. its the only thing that works for me. as long as it picks them up when you do a scan. if i dont do this all i get is blank screens and the error no channel found thingy.

chopper-reid said:
try what i said mate. i had exactly the same problem. this fixed it. its the only thing that works for me. as long as it picks them up when you do a scan. if i dont do this all i get is blank screens and the error no channel found thingy.
ok mate will try that tommorrow, will let you know how i got on,

thanks for the help advice and guidance lads, you lot must have the patience of a saint, im going mad here, but will carry on until i crack up or ill crack the box up...........

johnny bravo said:
yes mate i am, you cannot connect to the dbox otherwise.
you will find you can use a ordinary aerial connector to connect to the dbox also.

Fergalsworld said:
you will find you can use a ordinary aerial connector to connect to the dbox also.
yes, but what difference will that make ?

Back