Win 10 Help with Windows 10

Oily

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Received a new windows 10 laptop for my birthday after using a MacBook for ages.I can see why I kept with the MacBook,this thing is so slow and unresponsive doing the simplest of tasks like surfing the t'interweb,Google Chrome constantly freezes as soon as you open a new tab etc.It's a wonder I haven't flung it through the window!
Any tips on making it faster etc

i can run the crap bloated Win 10 on a lot less think maybe hardware issue?
try few browsers
ignore the recomended minimum spec try whatever you have never fails me

Last edited:
ideallly i5 CPU 8 GB RAM and SSD drive

I am writing this on a 3rd gen i3 with SSD and 8 GB RAM never had any issues

mmm...that's pretty old school tbh Oily. :confused:

...but it shouldn't be freezing on Chrome. Something not right.
Anything I should look at,even the basics as I can't remember where to look etc
i can run the crap bloated Win 10 on a lot less think maybe hardware issue?
try few browsers
ignore the recomended minimum spec try whatever you have never fails me
Tried Firefox,same issue
ideallly i5 CPU 8 GB RAM and SSD drive

I am writing this on a 3rd gen i3 with SSD and 8 GB RAM never had any issues
Was thinking about buying some more RAM?
I would do a clean re-install first and see if it cures the problem.
Don't have any discs unless you can do it another way with this W10?

The downloads are available direct from Microsoft Oily.
Use that link and use their creation software to download it onto a usb stick. Use the same version of win 10 and it will validate automatically.

Was thinking about buying some more RAM?

No! What you have isn't ideal, but that's not the problem. You could think about more RAM later.

Don't have any discs unless you can do it another way with this W10?

You don't get discs with new computers these days. There will be a hidden recover\ reinstall partition on your HDD. You access that via 'settings', but again, that's for later maybe, your problem is elsewhere.

could also be a memory issue, run memtest to rule that out.
Downloaded,cheers
No! What you have isn't ideal, but that's not the problem. You could think about more RAM later.

You don't get discs with new computers these days. There will be a hidden recover\ reinstall partition on your HDD. You access that via 'settings', but again, that's for later maybe, your problem is elsewhere.
Ah ok,any pointers to start off with?Any help appreciated

Yeah sorry.
Intel Premium 4415U @ 2.30GHz
64bit
4.00gb RAM
1 TB HD
Anything else you need?

Not knowing the Brand/Model, The specs look like what would be found on a budget/entry level laptop. I recommend to people at least an Intel I5 CPU and 8GB or higher of RAM. The 1 TB drive is most likely not an SSD, especially on a budget laptop. These budget laptops people buy are not going to be high performance and the manufacturers tend to use low quality parts so they can retail for $300 USD..
An Apple (while being very overpriced) is usually $1200 USD and up so you would expect it to outperform a low cost PC.

Just an update,bought 16gb of RAM but still struggling 😆 Writing this has been a struggle,laptop very very slow

try fresh install see if it helps but maybe a hardware issue

i can run Win 10 Win 11 on low end laptops do not suffer crashes or slow slow

If fresh install doesn’t do the trick. Try Opera or Brave browser and see if they are more responsive than Chrome.

If fresh install doesn’t do the trick. Try Opera or Brave browser and see if they are more responsive than Chrome.
Trying Firefox atm and its running fine,not sure what the issue was with Chrome?

Did a laptop for a mate 2 weeks ago which was agonisingly slow. Almost 15 minutes to boot up fully. Opening applications were hit and miss. He didn't have a lot on it and was gifting it to his son.
Brief specs were an i5 processor, 8gb of ram and a 1TB hard drive.

Looking in task manager it showed the hard drive was almost constantly at 100%. Mechanical drive which is a hell of a bottleneck. I tested the drive and it didn't appear to have any issues. I talked my mate into stumping up a mere £28 for a 250GB M.2 Nvme drive. While waiting for it to arrive I reinstalled Win 10 home on the laptop which improved the boot up and access times but was still way longer than it should be.

When his M.2 arrived I set it as his boot drive and cleaned/wiped the 1TB mech drive as storage. Needless to say the lappy is flying now. He was having second thoughts about parting with it.

Windows10 is suboptimal for HDD due to scattered accesses - it really needs an SSD.
If the laptop came with a 1TB drive, its certain to be a 2.5" hard drive, which should be replaced with a SATA SSD. Fortunately, those are now cheaper than the corresponding NVME drives now.

if its new old stock could just be doing the shed load of updates in the background

Back