help with sammy ms28

marra

Inactive User
Reaction score
hi all ive done a few sammys using my pc motherboard but im a bit stuck im following the tut and ive used extreme boot maker with drive c: and im booting to dos with ntfs4dos cd this is how far im getting

boot pc and 360 at same time with sata lead in pc and not in the drive,
then when at dos prompt i plugged in the sata cable
then run samread 1234567 12345
i powered off the 360
and picked option 2 xtreme sec master
i get
choose 1 drive:2
PORT:960, MASTER/SLAVE:A0

I waited 10sec and powered up 360
then it still says
choose 1 drive:2
PORT:960, MASTER/SLAVE:A0

anyone any ideas where im going wrong for some reason i allways run into problems with sammys, thanks.

try turning 360 off BEFORE selecting drive number!

edit: you did , i read it wrong.

must be a timing issue, try 11 seconds

thanks for the reply al, is the last line correct then (PORT:960, MASTER/SLAVE:A0) before the reading starts in the tut it says a error should come up is that the error i cant remember as its been a while since i flashed one, and is the 10secs wait something i should be doin with a clock is it not that specific count to 10 etc, thanks

ps i think it must of been a ms25 i did before as i dont remember some of the things in the tut.

I think the MS28's can only be done with a via 6421 sata chipset, like the benqs.

ive done benqs with my pc motherboard before too mate, im trying iprep now and getting further its recognisining the drive but its stuck on bank 0 then it says control-break-pressed which im assuming its timing out is their a different tut for sammys using iprep or is it the same process to do benqs if not can someone point me towards a tut, thanks.

Why not use Dosflash for the MS28?

i use iprep for mine, and it has NEVER failed me on a sammy 25 or 28

does drive still eject? (please say yes!)

are you using a usb port from rear of pc, as i have heard problems with frontal usb ports (don't ask why, it's just what i read somewhere)

cheers for the replies , yes mate drive still ejects im not using a usb i have the files on c:\ my comp wont boot from usb for some reason. with iprep i tried dben 1234567 12345 and it recognised the drive and timed out then i dsam 1234567 12345 and i powered off 360 then option 2 wait 10 secs (tried loads) power back on and i get PORT:960, MASTER/SLAVE:A0 and it stays on that does that sound right upto the reading starting, also would this job be easier if i got a sata card ive done a fair few using my pc before but not any ms28

cheers for the replies , yes mate drive still ejects im not using a usb i have the files on c:\ my comp wont boot from usb for some reason. with iprep i tried dben 1234567 12345 and it recognised the drive and timed out then i dsam 1234567 12345 and i powered off 360 then option 2 wait 10 secs (tried loads) power back on and i get PORT:960, MASTER/SLAVE:A0 and it stays on that does that sound right upto the reading starting, also would this job be easier if i got a sata card ive done a fair few using my pc before but not any ms28

i wouldnt have tried the benq command on a sammy m8.

i have a sata card in mine, and never failed me, make sure you get a VIA 6421 (i think thats right code)

in meantime, do you want me to do yours?

dben wont work as its not a BenQ

Try just typing the following

cd tools

you should be at C:/Tools>

Then type:

dosflash

Press enter and follow the on screen instructions / questions

i wouldnt have tried the benq command on a sammy m8.

i have a sata card in mine, and never failed me, make sure you get a VIA 6421 (i think thats right code)

in meantime, do you want me to do yours?

cheers again al, its not mine mate im doin a mate a favour i think ill give it him back and order a sata card then have another go for the price of the card its not worth messing arround anymore i read somewhere this is the card you bought mate
http://www.shinyhardware.co.uk/prod..._2_Serial_ATA_ports_VIA_VT6421A_Chipset/1264/
is that the one you use, cheers for everyones help

ps forgot to mention i tried the benq commands by accident i totally forgot its dsam not dben. thanks

i just tried again and when i type dsam 1234567 12345 without the drive plugged its only giving me 1 option so the board is definatly seeing the drive when its plugged in it gives me 3 options so it would sound like a timing issue but ive tried countless times now and i get no further than PORT:960, MASTER/SLAVE:A0 soon as i turn the 360 back on nothing happens

Again,

Try just typing the following

cd tools

you should be at C:/Tools>

Then type:

dosflash

Press enter and follow the on screen instructions / questions

sorry oggy i forgot to mention i tried that i didnt mention it in the reply, i just get numbers changing like you get with benqs but it dont do anything other than that

Right, from skimming through.....

Have you got it connected to the primary port on the VIA card?

At the port selection prompt, power off the 360

Select port, count to 7

power on 360

Im off to dummy run a Sammy using Dosflash so I can guide better.

i think i maybe getting somewhere with dosflash

7) 0x0960 sata sec master atapi tsstcorpdvd-rom ts-h943a ms28
flash manufasture id : 0xbf, device id : 0xb6
flash type:sst(sst39sf020)
flashsize : 262144 bytes (256 kb)

enter the atapi drive to read, write erase flash:

now im totally lost lol

ps to get to this i said no to mtk vendor as it was only showing ide
then it asked me again and i said yes and then i got the above

How many banks did it read, just done mine.

I had to say no to resending mttkvendor once or twice until I got the huge list of ports.

When I did, I looked for the one that said (SST) as it is the firmware flash used.

Then I select read, called it 'test'

4 banks read and firmware dump is good.

Do not put .bin, just call it 'dump' instead of 'dump.bin' - Well, I didnt, I added the .bin in windows.

BTW - I used Dosflash 1.4beta

the best ive had so far is reading bank 0..... then straight back to c: prompt the 360 light is flashing so as far as i know everything is doing what it should but it just wont read. im definatly picking the right port as it is showing the drive ive no idea what the prob is now i appreciate the help, thanks

on another note i cant work out why i get further in dosflash and get no where with samread etc really weird ive never had this much trouble before except for my 1st sammy

oggy your a star mate, i finally managed to read it the only thing i did different was when it asks what you want to do read ,write etc was (i know i was prob lucky) i typed R insted of r lol and it worked. i forgot to mention mate i tried test without bin and had same prob when it worked i typed test.bin i know it would of had no effect but thought id mention it so what now mate i havent used dosflash before lol

Last edited:
Back