help with pc please

rooney

Inactive User
Reaction score
hi
my brother has dropped his pc off to me as iv got his windows discs.

the pc is on blue screnn, "a problem has been detected and windows has been shut down etc....."

iv done search but i cant find how to fix as the pc wont start windows at all, i want to delete the hard drive and reinstall windows

thanks in advance.

Shove in the windows disc and boot it up, as soon as it starts to boot press F2 to enter the bios, then you have to change the boot sequence to start from cd 1st. Alternatively some pc's let you press F12 to pick the boot sequence, once it boots from cd you then have the choice to delete the partition and format and reinstall windows.

If it is a manufacturers cd you have then it may have a factory restore patition and that will make it even easier.

does it come up with the blue screen if you boot from the CD mate?

inserted windows disc and i now have windows setup, setup is loading files

what do i need to do ?

the pc has 2 hard drives :(

it now reads:
to set up windows xp now, press enter
to repair a windows xp installition using recovery console press R
to quit setup without installing windows xp press F3

setup windows xp now mate.

you wanna reformat the whole thing? get rid of everything.
pres L to delete partition.

Press enter

then you will see the partitions it has.

If you want to Format and clean install then highlight C: and press D to delete the partiton, it will ask if you are sure etc, just go through that and it goes back to the partitions, Highlight c: and press enter to install windows, chose to format either quick or full (quick will do you) and it will start to copy the files and just follow any instrutions after that...its simple.

Press enter

then you will see the partitions it has.

If you want to Format and clean install then highlight C: and press D to delete the partiton, it will ask if you are sure etc, just go through that and it goes back to the partitions, Highlight c: and press enter to install windows, chose to format either quick or full (quick will do you) and it will start to copy the files and just follow any instrutions after that...its simple.

@ devil666x
@ jaffa

thanks for help, ill give it a go now

which blue screen?

might be either cd drive or hard drive is on its way out

or better still its just the cd or a loose connection if ur lucky

Last edited:
Just to clarify that XP install sees the hard disks (so not a missing HDD driver issue). You get past the screen to delete/create partitions. You have created a new partition and formatted it. It will then start copying files, does it get this far ?

Just to clarify that XP install sees the hard disks (so not a missing HDD driver issue). You get past the screen to delete/create partitions. You have created a new partition and formatted it. It will then start copying files, does it get this far ?

no it dosnt get as far to delete/create partitions. im going to pay to get it done it looks a bit harder then what i thought

thanks for help and advice.

No need to pay someone to do it for you m8 it really is a simple process and your money would be better spent elsewhere. If you need to talk with someone to talk you through it let us know.

If you are not getting to the partition section section, then my next question is what sort of hard disks and controller are you using. If they are sata then you will need to either,

Get hold of a copy of XP with sata drivers built in

- or -

Need the drivers on a floppy disk (and a floppy disk drive in your PC as well of course). As XP is starting you get an option to press F6 to add additional drivers. Press it, you won't get any confirmation you have at this point but after a minute or two the install will stop and you can supply your SATA, RAID, SCSI or whatever driver at time point on the floppy disk.

blue screen is normaly a driver issue when somthing new has been added look for a program called patition magic 8 from norton it can be got from the usual places and format your drive with that then reinstall windows

blue screen is normaly a driver issue when somthing new has been added look for a program called patition magic 8 from norton it can be got from the usual places and format your drive with that then reinstall windows

I think OP said the blue screen was occuring during the XP installation process. Doing what you have suggested will be of little help in that situation.

insted of going to install windows go into the recovery console and check the disk CHKDSK /P

anyway what is the error code from the blue screen if it just goes blue then reboots. when it say windows failled to load ,you have to select the option do not restart on system faliure

Last edited:
insted of going to install windows go into the recovery console and check the disk CHKDSK /P

anyway what is the error code from the blue screen if it just goes blue then reboots. when it say windows failled to load ,you have to select the option do not restart on system faliure

If the problem is a HDD driver issue then the blue screen will have a STOP 0000007B error.

Back