help with cctv on my home please

brian0812

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
hi all this looks the best place to post this as we do not have a cctv section as i can see

ok so i have put cctv up on my home and i have some flicker on the image but if i take one of the camera,s down and plug it direct to my monitor its fine but as soon as i put it back up again out side the flicker is back the cameras have sony ccd if thats any help i tester more than one camera that have there own separate wiring and all have this flicker after i put them up can any of you offer any advice on how i can get rid of the flicker or how to trouble shoot this matter please

regards brian

Last edited:
any thing to do with what your viewing them on? TV is it 50MHz? cams might be 60 MHz.....could be signal leak if the cables are just way too long..?

cables are 25 meter long with power cable along side monitor will cover 50 and 60 and as i say cameras are fine and no flicker at all if i huck the camera up direct to the monitor in my home with a very short cable im now thinking it,s a problem with the cables to be honest mate

yes the cables came made with power along side mate and ive also tried 2 power supply,s with them i think i need to buy a roll of coax and make the cables up myself and run the power on its own

hi all this looks the best place to post this as we do not have a cctv section as i can see

ok so i have put cctv up on my home and i have some flicker on the image but if i take one of the camera,s down and plug it direct to my monitor its fine but as soon as i put it back up again out side the flicker is back the cameras have sony ccd if thats any help i tester more than one camera that have there own separate wiring and all have this flicker after i put them up can any of you offer any advice on how i can get rid of the flicker or how to trouble shoot this matter please

regards brian

I had exactly the same thing happen to me have you got seperate PSU`s for each camera or a 4 into 1 PSU ? once i got a better PSU the flicker stopped and old CB Radio psu works well and you can get them for about a tenner on the bay.

I had exactly the same thing happen to me have you got seperate PSU`s for each camera or a 4 into 1 PSU ? once i got a better PSU the flicker stopped and old CB Radio psu works well and you can get them for about a tenner on the bay.

each camera as its own psu but im now thinking about the cb power supply to power all 4 cameras to be honest mate

i would look at the cableing. is any of the wires going by somthing that may be interfering with this signal?? maybe use coax for the signal to each cam or at least the furthest away.

cables run down the side of copper piping in my house for the heating system i think i will redo the cables with coax and get a psu to power all 4 cameras

I really wouldn't go to the bother of routing them until you find the problem out....but running it down the copper pipe is just going to act like a mass signal bleed antenna type thing.....see what kind of cable you have and maybe try a step at a time before upheaving your house wiring in some thing that may just end up being the same.....

well that was fun i have just took all the cables back out and just run it down the steps to the monitor and its still the same so id say its got to be the cabling at fault as if i put the camera direct to the monitor with a short cable its fine so id say problem solved its time for new cables looks like ill be sending the ones i just got back to the suppler

cool (in a way) process of elimination then mate, maybe you can get some kind of in line booster that you could use to whack the out put of the signal etc. bit like them "yellow brick boosters" if you know what i mean.... 25 meters is quite a length for an analogue signal...

i had over 50 meters at my last house with no problems at all mate i think its down to crap quality cables mate going to email the suppler now and there going back to him ill make my own like i did last time i think and get a power supply to power all the cameras i got this set of cables just to make powering the cameras less stress looks to me now like it made more stress lol

you know what it's like mate with electronics......I guess i don't need to explain your pain...lolol.....good luck man

An in-line filter for Cctv Coax is known as a "Humbug" - Most cctv suppliers should stock them. As stated they just plug in-line with your coax.
With regards to the power running with coax - If the camera's are 12vDc this shouldn't be a problem as "shotgun" cable is made this way for cctv installs - 12v Power & coax moulded together. Possibly a faulty cable. Did you say all camera's have individual PSU's ? Do the camera's have Infra-Red LED's for night vision ?
We normally install a 4amp psu for 8 camera's, each individually fused with 500Ma fuses.

Last edited:
yes cameras are 12v and have infa red for night vision mate and the cables are shotgun cables mate but both cables are the same so id say im very unlucky if both cables are faulty ive emailed the seller and there going back to him then i will make my own up as i did last time i think its now the best way to go

and all power supply,s are 12v 1amp 1 for every camera

Last edited:
Back