HELP !!!! Wii is now DEAD !!!!!! HELP

bilabonic

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi

After having numerous problems with DRE's and not even recognising discs (sometmis just left disc there came back after 10 mins and was showing in menu ?) while fitting an ARGON 1.8 i decided to remove chip and clean up the VIA points.

See here - https://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/index.php?threads/175921/

Just powered up and it takes disc but the drive motor does not spin up at all.

If i select disc channel, it states insert disc, i insert it, it shows the spinning disc on screen but the disc is NOT moving.#

Any ideas where the fuses are ?

HELP !!!

Last edited by a moderator:
The only way to boot a disc is by powering the Wii off with disc in then powering back on and boots it up fine ?

If i then eject it and put it back in it does not show, as posted above ?

Any ideas guys. I'm wondering whether it was like this to start with ??

if i remember correct - u tried the via points

check on the bottom (underside) of the board near to the rst point.... there is a resistor (really small)
if u meter it, it should be 330 ohm (i think - so not taken for granted please)
if it isnt there - then its been knocked off (by excessive heat)

as for fuses - i dont think that will be the problem as the system powers up and loads disk if it is in from start.
but i have attatched a pic (for the experts among u - its a new ... will it or won`t it work board , bought in uk yesterday).
i have marked what i think are the fuses with red and numbered 1 + 2
could someone confirm these are fuses as i have researched on net last week as i had problems with an install.

good luck

regards
jase

Last edited:
My mate has modded LEH181-183 with no issuesso I dont think the problem ones are in the UK yet

Could you have shorted something? Its showing classic signs of a burnt out laser (PS2 symptoms)

check on the bottom (underside) of the board near to the rst point.... there is a resistor (really small)

as for fuses - i dont think that will be the problem as the system powers up and loads disk if it is in from start.
but i have attatched a pic (for the experts among u - its a new ... will it or won`t it work board , bought in uk yesterday).
could someone confirm these are fuses as i have researched on net last week as i had problems with an install.

good luck

regards
jase

Yes m8 them are the fuses with N on
what was the start of the serial on the new wii you have

Yes m8 them are the fuses with N on
what was the start of the serial on the new wii you have

serial starts leh1834

it modded fine (apparantly ;) )

and as for laser burnt out, i don`t think that may be the problem as bilabonic said it reads ok if u leave disk in and power off / on.
i had a chat with someone with more knowledge than i have :-
the only thing he could think of is the reset or whatever mechanism detects disk insert/eject as the initial detect state on power up is probably disk in, then when it checks and doesnt see any disk - it switched to no disk state.
if the reset doesnt work , then inserting a disk will not reset the disk state and initiate a read cycle.

the above took me an hour to understand, but i got the hang of it.
anything beyond this is out of my league at moment

regards
jase

serial starts leh1834

it modded fine (apparantly ;) )

and as for laser burnt out, i don`t think that may be the problem as bilabonic said it reads ok if u leave disk in and power off / on.
i had a chat with someone with more knowledge than i have :-
the only thing he could think of is the reset or whatever mechanism detects disk insert/eject as the initial detect state on power up is probably disk in, then when it checks and doesnt see any disk - it switched to no disk state.
if the reset doesnt work , then inserting a disk will not reset the disk state and initiate a read cycle.

the above took me an hour to understand, but i got the hang of it.
anything beyond this is out of my league at moment

regards
jase

That's along the lines i was thinking. As it does not spin up at all when disc inserted, what tells it that there is a disc present ?

When rebooted it spins up drive regardless of disc in or out and that's why it then works fine.

Someone out there has the answer......The truth is out there.

Have not checked that resistor but fully aware of itnear point RST will check it later though just in case.

Cheers for comments so far.

good luck

regards
jase

Just checked that resistor and i am getting open circuit across it, wonder if it is fried ?

Where can i source a replacement ??

Can anyone confirm this is 330 Ohm by checking their Wii ??

Thanks

take a photo of the board and mark the location of the resistor u tested, so other people can try as well.

if i get a wii to mess with tonight i`ll check for u.

regards
jase

Just replaced the resistor with one i found on an old HDD, was slightly bigger but 330 Ohm.

Had to use wires to attach it because of size.

Anyway it now boots up fine with no problems at all. When i get chance will install onto the legs insead of VIA points.

Thanks for all the help guys.....:banana:

glad to be of service :)

its also nice to know we have a confirmed fix for this problem

regards
jase

Back