Help regarding which OBD2 code reader to buy compatible with Torque software app

I got this one from amazon, I couldnt be bothered waiting for one to come from China just for the sake of saving a couple of quid.

It works well with all the software I've tried on my laptop and also Torque (and other apps) on android.

I didnt get mine from this seller, I've had it for around 9 months. But I did get some good software with it, including full versions of a couple of Android apps.

Amazon.co.uk: elm 327

You may find it cheaper and you may also find other ones cheaper, but I know this one works.

To be honest apart from the looks of the thing I don't know what the difference is between my v1.4 and the v1.5. Maybe someone with a little more knowledge of these things could tell me.

EDIT:

Just found this info.

The firmware can also change. There are officially 2 different versions of firmware, the 1.2 and the 1.3. Only the very experienced users will be able to tell the difference between a firmware 1.2 and a 1.3 as the basics remain the same. On the internet we can also find the 1.5 version. We bought one ourselves so we can definitely say that it does not exist. It is actually a copy of the 1.2 version called 1.5. You can find in our link tips, how to make sure that the version that you have is the right one.

News :Elm Electronics have just released the 1.4 version of its ELM 327 circuit. View their website for more details. here

http://www.outilsobdfacile.com/diagnostic-interface-elm-327.html

Also on the ELM website I found this

Please note:

There is no ELM327 v1.4a, or v1.5, or v1.5a !

Some clone makers have introduced what they call a 'v1.4a', or
a 'v1.5', or a 'v1.5a' but Elm Electronics has never made one.

http://elmelectronics.com/obdic.html

Last edited:
The apps I got on the cd with the unit are the same ones that are on the play store, most are free.

I personally use Torque and paid for the full version, well worht the £3, but when I find the cd I'll pop them somewhere.

I like torque because it looks good on my tab 2 with the 10.1" screen.

But to be honest I only use it now and then to reset my engine light and read codes as since having the LPG conversion 6 years ago the engine light stays on most of the time.

Last edited:
I've had one of these for about a year
For v1.5a Android Torque ELM327 Car Bluetooth OBD2 Diagnostic Interface CAN BUS | eBay
Does what it says on the tin. Tried it with 3 android phones & compatible with all.
I bought from a different seller on ebay so can't personally vouch for this seller. Thought there was another thread on here already? I'll have a wee look. (edit; not on here, sorry, must have been on a car forum)
HH.

Last edited:
Thanks HH what I notice is alot say that they do all motors after 2001 etc Blar Blar, then like in the one you just linked to says its compatible with the following vehicles etc.

Whats the crack have they worked on all the motors you've tried them on? I want it to work on a Volvo S60 an Audi A3 and a Renault Clio?

Thanks HH what I notice is alot say that they do all motors after 2001 etc Blar Blar, then like in the one you just linked to says its compatible with the following vehicles etc.

Whats the crack have they worked on all the motors you've tried them on? I want it to work on a Volvo S60 an Audi A3 and a Renault Clio?

I've only tried mine on one motor mate which wasn't on the list but worked fine for me. OBD2 is standard I think so if the car has an OBD2 connector (EU legislation after a certain year ??) it should work. Probably worth a punt at 8 quid mate?
HH.

What year is your Audi A3 on ? The best kit for use on any VAG group motor is Vagcom/VCDS if your looking for error codes/diagnostics etc.. Torque is pretty crap for reading VAG group error codes,

On a side note I have GoPoint technologies BL1 OBDII scanner and works very well with a DashCommad app from the AppStore on iOS. My Nexus 7 tablet though refuses to see it. I have checked the GoPoint store and they say I have to buy and android version of it which is about $40 extra. Anyone knows a workaround or see this issue before?

I bought one ELM327 V1.5 OBDII OBD-II OBD2 Mini Auto Diagnostic Scanner from ebay (seller: tomtop_digital) and it works perfect

Back