HELP on How to set up wireless on pc

BIGGY007

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi, can some1 please help me.....

I have 2 pc's both with no wireless connection at the moment and would like to connect both pc's via the internet.

PC (A) has 2 usb ports and no ethernet ports. I would like an ethernet port for this. (I use usb to connect to the internet).

PC (B) has ethernet port and usb port. (Never connected to internet before)

I have ntl broadband with 2 meg speed(modem).

What is the best way forward and the cheapest but most effective.

any help would be kindly appreciated.. thanx in advance: multi :

Hi, can some1 please help me.....

I have 2 pc's both with no wireless connection at the moment and would like to connect both pc's via the internet.

PC (A) has 2 usb ports and no ethernet ports. I would like an ethernet port for this. (I use usb to connect to the internet). go buy a ethernet NIC network card and insert into spare slot on pc. around £10.
PC (B) has ethernet port and usb port. (Never connected to internet before) go buy a wireless router around £35 to £45

I have ntl broadband with 2 meg speed(modem).

What is the best way forward and the cheapest but most effective.

any help would be kindly appreciated.. thanx in advance: multi :

as said above your best bet would be to buy a wireless router and 1 nic card [PC world has these]
and if your modem is a clone dont for get to use smac to spoof you NIC on the pc thats already been connected to internet.

PS make sure your pc has a spare port before you buy a NIC card.

Last edited:
yep,all I did was lob a wireless card into my desktop (say £30) (router upstairs in bedroom) laptops were wireless anyway and the only hardwired kit is a xbox.
If the printer has wireless available for it that can be hardwired also and all the wireless kit can use the same printer.

whats a nic network card and will it be compatible with any pc and how hard is it to install.

if i purchase a wireless router then will pc b simply just connect to the internet or will i need to purchase additinal components for pc b to connect to the internet.

: multi :

If u havent opened ur pc before ur best bet is to just buy 2 usb wireless dongles cheaper also a compatable wireless router , tell the person whom u buy it off ur on NTL ,PEAK do very simple router that works a treat , which u can go inside and protect ur net work WPA encryption which is safer than wep .around 36.00 quid .with ur usb dongles install the driver 1st then connect them to ur pc , choose windows not the utility u get with the driver to configure ur wireless network , then they will be found and the drivers will be installed properly , on both pc`s make sure u have Automatically detect network settings, tools/internet options/connections tab/lan settings. once u have done this the set up is this
ethernet from the modem to the wan of the router u will usally have 4 out puts to hard wire other pc`s , then reboot the modem and router let all your lights come on , modem and router . u then in your taskbar c a wireless conection icon , right click on it and veiw wireless net works , it then should find urs usually untitled unsecure network click on this and connect .
if ur are up and running the next step is the secure ur network up
ur default gate way is usually 192.168.1.254, type this into ur address bar
this should bring u inside ur router once in side u will c secrity click that , once there set wpa and choose ur own kep then save , disconnect from ur network best to rebbot both modem and router again , then once rebooted right click on the wireles icon again click on ur connection ( sorry when setting this up name ur connection ) so u can see it . click on ur connection it will ask u for the password then click on ur connection u should be on the internet it will only ask u for ur password again if u manually diconnect from ur connedction. NOTE MAKE SURE THE USB WIRELESS DONGLES SUPPORT wpa ENCRYPTION.
hope this helps
biffo
and choose

Hi, can some1 please let me no if this will work for wireless netowrk connections and if i need to purchase 2, to connect to both pc's..: multi :

h**p://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Belkin-High-Speed-Mode-Wireless-USB-Network-Adapter_W0QQitemZ300095187791QQcategoryZ45002QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

So will i need to purchase 2 or 1, of this item and will i still need to purchase a router. so i have both computers wirelessly connected tot he internet..: multi :

ok heres gonna be your set up.

Router is a must!!

Router connects to modem using the WAN port, the ethernet from the modem goes into the WAN port on the router

to get both pc wirless buy the usb dongle and you need one for each pc.

they plug into each usb into each pc and thats it
so for you to have both pc's wireless you need

1 x router
2x usb dongle

Dongle is just a name given to a usb device stick , they come as memory as in well anything from 32 meg up to 5 gig , or as wireless sticks which in ur case is what u will use , pm me biggy if u need any help after u purchase the items 2 x usb wireless dongles and 1 x wireless router

Back