help needed to compress files

chris1975

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Can anyone advice on what is the best program and best way to compress files. I have tried always with winrar, winace and winzip but dont seem to be able to make the files anysmaller than they started.

any help will be most appreciated guys

Regards
Chris

Hi Chris
The ammount of compression you get really depends on the file type your playing with, for instance you can compress a .doc word file loads but not a .wmv winmedia video as it's already pretty well compressed.
You could try making a self extracting archive (with .exe extension) to see if that helps....

what it is guys is some files I have on comp which i wanna back up onto disc just wanted to know the best way of compressing them and how

Chris all you have said is that you want to compress files on your pc......but not specified what they are.

Various extensions as stated already are all ready compressed ie WMV, Jpeg, Mp3, Ogg etc

If your looking at backing up large amounts of data you could use Norton Ghost which will make the files an image file and you have options on how to store eg spanning over a number of discs.

If you use 7Zip or UHarC (both freeware) you can specify what dictionary sizes to use when compressing, this works great on multimedia files, but little difference on text documents.

basically it as load of jpeg's and a few other things such as a couple of programs and a few txt files i want to be able to compress them enough to beable to get a all i need on to 1 cdr rather than 2 or 3

Back