Sensible Topic HELP - Mechanics ?? Replacing Disc on Transit van, STUCK on spline or wheel bearing ???

bilabonic

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi All

Is this on the driveshaft spline, someone has posted on FB and reckons they have broken two sets of pullers trying to get it off ?

All discs i have ever replaced just require removing pads/caliper, so bit confused here, only time i have taken 'knuckle' off is to replace wheel bearings.

Is this stuck on the spline or wheel bearing guys ?

https://video-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v...=5e473694005d97eb2dc17faba5ddc597&oe=5B9D68D9

Cheers

Attachments

• Disc Stuck.mp4
    2 MB · Views: 17
looks like its a bitch of a job

Video

get ya big hammer out m8

BUT in the video, it all loose as if its stuck on the spline of driveshaft, it's NOT my van., BUT that's what it looks like ?

The video you link is where it is stuck on the bearing ??

He BROKEN 2 sets of 3 legged pullers..lol PLUS he's put the driveshaft nut on the end of the shaft and tried hammering it IN ??

I'm confused..lol

Look on the back of the hub (inside where the rubber driveshaft boot is) and see if there is a circlip on the shaft holding it in place.

Look on the back of the hub (inside where the rubber driveshaft boot is) and see if there is a circlip on the shaft holding it in place.

I will ask but that makes no sense to me, a circlip on the inside would hold the hub OFF...If there is any form of circlip there i would presume it would be there for the outer CV joint..I will get him to check though.

What are the three recessed bolts on the disc?

5 bolts hold the disk and hub together and 5 not 3 recessed t50 torx hold it all....

As i stated it's not my van BUT trying to help, who the fook puts discs on the inside of the Hub ?

Every disc i have replaced in since they were out simply just needed the caliper off, one screw/torx holding disc.

So you risk damaging the wheel bearing whilst replacing discs ??

Cheers

5 bolts hold the disk and hub together and 5 not 3 recessed t50 torx hold it all....

As i stated it's not my van BUT trying to help, who the fook puts discs on the inside of the Hub ?

Every disc i have replaced in since they were out simply just needed the caliper off, one screw/torx holding disc.

So you risk damaging the wheel bearing whilst replacing discs ??

Cheers
Yes i watched some of the youtube vids and it looks a task lol. The German one where the guy has the big fancy presser/puller was smart.

Yes i watched some of the youtube vids and it looks a task lol. The German one where the guy has the big fancy presser/puller was smart.

You got to hand to the Germans....
Vorsprung Durch Technik

It definitely looks a pain of a job....

If in doubt get some heat on it, it will cause the metal to shrink slightly so you can get it off.

metal expands when heated its his joke about freezer
It's probably a bearing welded to the spline due to heat. Heat it up and knock it off failing that pull the driveshaft out from the other end and change it if it is stuck. Jokes are for fun and laughter I am not joking. Don't like my advice then don't do it then. Simples.

if it was me I would remove shaft aswell pult on bench press heat and puch,seen this before its a bas-ard,its a hard one he guy have a lot of work to get this right might be cheeper to get one from scrap yard less hastle.

if it was me I would remove shaft aswell pult on bench press heat and puch,seen this before its a bas-ard,its a hard one he guy have a lot of work to get this right might be cheeper to get one from scrap yard less hastle.
That is the best and safest way.

Back