help me pick a drill i havent a clue what im looking for

joeblaze

DW Regular
Reaction score
buying the bro a drill for xmas. he does all our diy and his other ones wrecked the battery dont last and basically its fked. im not pushing the boat out not over 100 squid preferably 80 squids. its just for basic diy around the familys houses no heavy shit i think he preferes battery to the plug in ones. any recomendations folks? cheers

I've got the dewalt xr combi that i got a couple of years ago, sits in my garage in its case in cold weather and I never have an issue with the battery being flat. I paid nearly £100.00 a couple of years ago. Some say they have now changed quality to the lower end. Stanley fat max feel ok we have one at work here and its in everyday use. Bosch cordless combi drill 18v the blue ones are what we use to hire out when I was working in tool hire. We have just got a new one at work which is one I never herd of but it came on a recommendation from a tool hire company as being really well made. I'll go and see what make it is shortly.

Stanley fatmax is a good , its the same company as dewalt that makes it and a little bit cheaper
try get the pack with the 2 x 2amp battery's

I've got a Makita 18v, lovely drill/electric screwdriver. My dad has a collection of dewalts at our work but I do find him using my Makita every now and then when he thinks I'm not looking.
Most of the price is in the batteries as they're universal across the range of equipment.

i got a erbauer from screwfix combi with 2 batteries works well for diy £70

buying the bro a drill for xmas. he does all our diy and his other ones wrecked the battery dont last and basically its fked. im not pushing the boat out not over 100 squid preferably 80 squids. its just for basic diy around the familys houses no heavy shit i think he preferes battery to the plug in ones. any recomendations folks? cheers
I've had a Makita 18V cordless for over 20 years now. Used contunually both for my job as a mechanical Engineer and for odd jobs around the place. Cost half as much as a De Walt and I've found it ttally reliable and hard wearing.

I bought a german one from Lidl i use it for the caravan jack legs and screw pegs and winding in the motor mover it seams very robust and it holds its charge well Branded parkside

My ryobi hasn’t failed me yet, had it for about 8 years and has been used a lot.i have replaced the battery’s once but that is inevitable at some point.

ryobi are great, got a set 2 years ago drill impact drive and circular saw for £170 if i remember and get a free gift

its £200 now but you get 3 units and 2 batteries

i went with the stanley one guys it was the first one i checked out because of the link but i read through the reviews, liked the price and i can just walk round the corner and pick it up click and collect.

thanks folks

mate if you can still return it you can go sunday market and grab a bargain for like £ 50, dewalt or makita

Get a new one the battery will be well hammered

I recently bought a Bosch twin pack drill driver. Unless your doing heavy building site work then they'll do fine and cheap enough

As @kegnkiwi recommend I would advise Dewalt.

I was in the trade for years and still do a few bits if the money is right. You cannot beat Dewalt for the price the quality is excellent. It may be over the 100 you want to pay but they come with a 3 year warranty(excluding batteries) but you will not find anything of that quality for the same price.

In my opinion every tool dewalt make is either one of the best when compared to other brand or is at least is at least close to the best especially for the price. Only exception to that is their chop saws are not very good.

i have one of those exact saws things but me other bro was putting a floor down and put the disc in the wrong way and it just stopped working no warning. is it fked or can it be fixed. i think that was 90 or 100 squid the shopping channel got me on a night i had a few bevies and it looked good but i only got using it once to put a floor in our wardrobe room so i would love to get that repaired if possible but i dont wanna pay much lol

we now only buy milwaukee power tools across the board. search ebay and they are readily on offer, we even have the radio!

Back