Help for hard of hearing

ou toppie

Reaction score
I have to wear hearing aids for day to day duties and for movie/tv watching I have a wifi Sennheiser TR175 headset which is connected to my 6 year old Samsung smart tv using an optical cable from the tv to the headset sender. This set up works well but I am finding it increasingly difficult to pick up all the audio content (spoken words) during movies, tv dramas etc.
I find that I need to get rid of as much of the base output as possible and get the mid range and treble higher than the TR 175 is capable of doing.
My setup is a technomate F3/5 to the Samsung tv to the Sennheiser TR 175 wifi sender to the Sennheiser headphones. This setup allows my better half to control the tv volume to suit her.
I have searched on line for a headphone amplifier with base/mid/treble controls to couple between the tv output and the TR175 but can find nothing.
Is there someone out there who can please give me some suggestions as to the best way to get around this problem as my tv viewing is becoming very difficult.
Many thanks
OT

I have to wear hearing aids for day to day duties and for movie/tv watching I have a wifi Sennheiser TR175 headset which is connected to my 6 year old Samsung smart tv using an optical cable from the tv to the headset sender. This set up works well but I am finding it increasingly difficult to pick up all the audio content (spoken words) during movies, tv dramas etc.
I find that I need to get rid of as much of the base output as possible and get the mid range and treble higher than the TR 175 is capable of doing.
My setup is a technomate F3/5 to the Samsung tv to the Sennheiser TR 175 wifi sender to the Sennheiser headphones. This setup allows my better half to control the tv volume to suit her.
I have searched on line for a headphone amplifier with base/mid/treble controls to couple between the tv output and the TR175 but can find nothing.
Is there someone out there who can please give me some suggestions as to the best way to get around this problem as my tv viewing is becoming very difficult.
Many thanks
OT

I'm no expert on AV stuff but all I can think of is a graphic equaliser between the TV and headphone sender. It's been a while since I bought any audio stuff (is Richer Sounds still going?) apart from PC related but at a guess you might want to investigate digital equalisers. A quick glance shows lots of rackmount units, probably not ideal for a normal living room.

I'm sure there are people here that do know about it though.

Can you not get a loop system that works with your hearing aids?? Like when you go into a bank and you push the button on the hearing aid to hear the person on the other side of the screen??

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I think my next door neighbour uses the loop system also as she is hard of hearing.

To he honest..

After reading the reviews on the Echo loop, I've ordered one for myself [emoji106]

Sorry mate....

Echo MegaLoop DAC Induction Loop System with Digital Audio Converter

Put that into Amazon [emoji106]

I think the main thing the OP is concerned about is being able to adjust bass and treble.

I'm sure one of the reviews mentions a tone setting?

I think he's looking for something that can attenuate the bass more than his current setup, or amplify the treble maybe. Some sort of audio processor perhaps.

Could probably do it on a laptop or small form factor PC with the correct IO and audio program.

I would have thought that going via the loop through the actual hearing aids would cut down on the bass anyway??

I would have thought that going via the loop through the actual hearing aids would cut down on the bass anyway??

We might find out when he comes back to the thread.

Many thanks for all the suggestions.
I have tried the loop through my h/aids people and unfortunately the tone control is not sufficient to get the base far enough out of the hearing spectrum or the treble above the broadcast level
My hearing problem is such that I can hear base sounds very well but the high mid and the treble are very difficult. The hearing aid people cannot seem to overcome this problem without resulting in distortion of the original sound. For instance, all the music I listen to through the aids no longer sounds like it used to, but with amplification and without the aids all is good.
In effect Spectre is correct. I need to be able to tone down the base to below the original broadcast sound and up the high mid range and the treble.
It looks like I will have to go the amplifier/equalizer route but, as I am not up with hifi systems etc, I find it a little confusing and am reluctant to buy something that turns out to be going the wrong way.
Thanks all any assistance.

I have tried the loop through my h/aids people and unfortunately the tone control is not sufficient to get the base far enough out of the hearing spectrum or the treble above the broadcast level
My hearing problem is such that I can hear base sounds very well but the high mid and the treble are very difficult. The hearing aid people cannot seem to overcome this problem without resulting in distortion of the original sound. For instance, all the music I listen to through the aids no longer sounds like it used to, but with amplification and without the aids all is good.
In effect Spectre is correct. I need to be able to tone down the base to below the original broadcast sound and up the high mid range and the treble.
It looks like I will have to go the amplifier/equalizer route but, as I am not up with hifi systems etc, I find it a little confusing and am reluctant to buy something that turns out to be going the wrong way.
I also have loss in the mid range, that answered a few of my questions..

Thank you

Hi, I have been checking on the old "google is your friend" and have found an equalizer that looks as if it might do the job: A Behringer mini fbq. A 9 channel mixer.
Any thoughts from the fundis (Kiswahili for people in the know) out there???
Thanks

Have you looked through the menu on the Technomate? I don't have a F3/5 to hand, but it's big brother, the 5402 has audio eq adjustments and by default there is a bit of bass boost. In the a/v output settings, hit the red button.

Have you looked through the menu on the Technomate? I don't have a F3/5 to hand, but it's big brother, the 5402 has audio eq adjustments and by default there is a bit of bass boost. In the a/v output settings, hit the red button.

@ou toppie wants bass reduction and to raise the mid and top end.

The problems I can think of in this is that most consumer equipment will produce too much noise when you attempt to do this. There are a few ways of doing it but it is limited by the equipment.

Back