help for 1st time pc build

suds

DW Member ++
Reaction score
going to build my own computer i have selected components and was was wondering if anyone can tell me if they are compatible and would all work together and is there anything else i would need to consider. also thinking of putting windows 7 o.s on it. Here are the components;

ASUS M2N68 PLUS - motherboard - ATX - nForce 630a - Socket AM2+

AMD Athlon 64 X2 2.9 GHz Processor

Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 Hard Drive, 250 GB, SATA , 7200 RPM, 8MB Cache

Kingston ValueRAM 2GB 800MHz DDR2-SDRAM Unbuffered Non-ECC CL6 DIMM Memory Module (x2=4gb)

Sumvision PowerX2 - 450W ATX Power Supply

120mm Blue LED Fan - 4pin Molex Connection

LG GH22NP20 Super Multi - DVD±RW (±R DL) / DVD-RAM drive - IDE - 48x (CD) / 16x (DVD) 48x (CD) / 22x (DVD±R) / 12x (DVD-R DL) / 16x (DVD+R DL) 32x (CD) / 6x (DVD-RW) / 8x (DVD+RW) / 12x (DVD-RAM) - Internal - Black

XFX Radeon HD 4350 Graphics adapter - 1 GB - DDR2 SDRAM

Black Mid Tower Gaming Case with 3x Display Dials on front panel With Side Window - No PSU

also can someone post a link to a guide on how to build one
Thanks

That seems quite a tidy spec.

Last time i built one was about 5 year ago but it's all self explanitory as long as the parts are compatable.

You may want to get an earth strap in case of static but i've got away with it every time.

Last edited:
That seems quite a tidy spec.

Last time i built one was about 5 year ago but it's all self explanitory as long as the parts are compatable.

thanks but its the compatibility that im looking for

Compatibility wise that looks OK.

If you are ordering from somewhere like scan or aria then call them and order over the phone instead of internet and confirm compatibility with them, then its legally binding.

Also I can only seem to find OEM version of CPU which will mean no CPU fan, in which you will need to order one. If you are buying retail CPU then no need for a fan.

Price wise, Athlon 2.9GHz + Fan is virtually the same cost as Athlon II 250 or potentially the 260 which runs cooler and offers better performance. Though you will need a AM3 M/B and DDR3 memory to go with it. However you get a much upgrade path for future.

...Sumvision PowerX2 - 450W ATX Power Supply...
In my opinion you'd be better off getting a branded PSU made by Enermax, Channel Well Technology or Seasonic. For what it's worth, Corsair's PSUs are rebrands of these three.

XFX Radeon HD 4350 Graphics adapter - 1 GB - DDR2 SDRAM
If you are hoping to play COD:4/WaW/MW2, Crysis, Dirt, GRID etc you won't get playable results with that card. If that isn't an issue also concider the cheaper HD 5450 and G210.

If you do want to play anything graphically demanding that has come out in the past 4 years you should be looking at the HD 4770 or GT260 at a minimum, though I'd suggest the HD 5770 or above or GT460 (the only current gen nvidia card worth the money at the moment) for DX11 compatibility.

...Price wise, Athlon 2.9GHz + Fan is virtually the same cost as Athlon II 250 or potentially the 260 which runs cooler and offers better performance. Though you will need a AM3 M/B and DDR3 memory to go with it. However you get a much upgrade path for future.
For a new build the AM3 mobo with DDR3 is probably the better bet.

However, if anyone is looking for a staggered upgrade from an AM2 system, it is worth remembering that AM3 CPUs work in (compatible) AM2+ motherboards.

Last edited:
However, if anyone is looking for a staggered upgrade from an AM2 system, it is worth remembering that AM3 CPUs work in (compatible) AM2+ motherboards.

That right, but unfortunatly I think that works the other way round so no AM2 CPU in AM3 socket.

But you are unlikely to want put a AM2 CPU in AM3 board anyway so its all academic.

Anyway,

Suds, you haven't said what you want to use the PC for. I know you asked for compatibility advise but if you want any tips on mixing and matching the components based on your budget and requirements then I am sure we can offer some tips.

But you are unlikely to want put a AM2 CPU in AM3 board anyway so its all academic.

Anyway,

Suds, you haven't said what you want to use the PC for. I know you asked for compatibility advise but if you want any tips on mixing and matching the components based on your budget and requirements then I am sure we can offer some tips.

Genral computer usage with light gaming with games such as mw2, mafia 2, and other online games. with the possibility of upgrading to more serious gaming at a later date. i would also like to keep the cost under £250 ish if possible

You won't get an enjoyable gaming experience from MW2 on an HD 4350. The absolute minimum you should be looking at is GTS250/9800GT/8800GTX (all have the same GPU at the heart of the card) or the HD 4750. To be honest you'd be lucky to get 30fps with 2xAA at 1024x768 with those.

In my opinion, you'd be throwing away money to buy an AM2 or LGA775 system in the current cycle, especially if you plan piecemeal upgrades over the next few years. And out of the current gen sockets - AM3, LGA1156 and LGA1366 - AM3 usually has the cheaper initial outlay...

I don't think you will be able to do it with £250 seeing how gfx card will set you back over £100. How about the following,

Gigabyte GA-M68M-S2P - £37
AMD Athlon II X2 Dual Core 250 - £47
Kingston 2GB DDR2 - £30
Arianet GeForce GT 240 1024MB - £64
Seagate Barracuda 500GB - £30
DVD/RW - £14
Antec NSK-6582 Midi Tower Case inc 430W PSU and 120mm fan - £53

Comes in at £275 + delivery and you can then upgrade memory and gfx card when you have the cash and CPU is fairly overclockable as well.

As for build instructions, check out youtube. There are hundreds of PC build and O/S installation vids on there.

I don't think you will be able to do it with £250 seeing how gfx card will set you back over £100. How about the following,

Gigabyte GA-M68M-S2P - £37
AMD Athlon II X2 Dual Core 250 - £47
Kingston 2GB DDR2 - £30
Arianet GeForce GT 240 1024MB - £64
Seagate Barracuda 500GB - £30
DVD/RW - £14
Antec NSK-6582 Midi Tower Case inc 430W PSU and 120mm fan - £53

Comes in at £275 + delivery and you can then upgrade memory and gfx card when you have the cash and CPU is fairly overclockable as well.

As for build instructions, check out youtube. There are hundreds of PC build and O/S installation vids on there.

i would rather have the case that i posted with the fan and psu that i posted earlier if thats possible. and how do you tell if graphics cards are good ?

thanks for all the replys.didnt actualy realise it was so expensive to put together a half decent gaming machine.will either have to save a lot more or forget about a gaming pc thanks again for all the advice

Back