Help flashing required.

delectable

Inactive User
Reaction score
Please help me!

I have a Nokia box and am trying to flash a new image as my box keeps freezing (I have not done flashing before.)

I bought the cross over adaptor from Maplins to make my straight cable a crossover cable, which I've plugged in. This hasn't worked with the Flash Assistant - it does not come up with 'Flashing'

I have also bought a Null Modem cable (I'm assuming the 9 pin to 9 pin is correct) as they also has a 9 pin serial to Parrell null modem cable). I tried with this but the text does not appear and nothing happens. I have followed the guides and tried everything to no avail.

Please help and stop me throwing the box out of my window.

:Chainsaw:

Are you sure you got a real nullmodem cable.
A nullmodem cable normally has female connectors on both sides.
If you enable the option flashing with null modem you should see some messages inside IFA after starting the box.

yes. There is a 9 pin female connector on each end.

The only available serial socket on the back of my pc appeared to be on a card, which I think is COM 1.

I am really stuck.flash ass

When I boot plug in the cable box, as instructed, by flash assistant, it doesn't progess beyond the 'debug' lcd screen. It appears to get stuck and does not display 'flashing' on the LCD and no text appears on the IFA box.

Are you able to use the image thats currently on your box?

If so, you can just ftp a new image onto the box and flash it using the "software update" option in the services menu (depending on what image you are currently using)

You can find the ip address that you need to ftp to by clicking on the dbox button, then go into settings and finally into network

Sorry if this confuses things

JR

if you have more than one network card disable the one not used for flashing, turn off all antivirus and firewalls, including windows firewall.instead of powering of at the mains try pushing the standby button and up arrow button at the same time to do a reset

Firefox - I tried that (I disabled Norton and AVG and the XP firewall) but it seems to jam on the 'debug' screen on the LCD, does not come up with 'Leide' at the bottom or move on to the Sportster LCD screen.

Jeanluc - How do I do that?

I followed the beginners guide to setting up the dbox2 and it says to enter the IP address on the network connection as 192.168.0.2 and then to obtain the IP address of the Dbox2, but not what then to do with it. The IP address on my box is different, 192.168.5.202. Will this make a difference?

Last edited by a moderator:
I downloaded the FTP and your guide and followed it but I'm been unable to gain a connection.

I am using a straight ethernet cable with crossover adaptor from maplin to make it a cross over cable.

I have tried changing the network connection settings but cannot change it to 10baseT_halfduplex, the option is on enable or disable. I set all the other settings on the FTP but it cannot connect.

I really am desperate and would appreciate any help.

Click the properties tab on your network card click the configure tab then advanced tab In list check for link speed.flow control,duplex speed
look in all the options for 10baseT_halfduplex of 10 half mode.

Last edited:
The only option that allowed me to change to 10baseT_halfduplex was 'Media Type', which I have done.

It appears that the PC is conneced via local connection to the dbox2 as it is showing connected at 10.0 mps. I just can't swap data, either via flash assistant or FTP.

If I try the flash ass route with only the crossover cable it does not show flashing, go loads all the way to the first channel screen on the lcd, minus the channel name, i.e. it shows the bars and 1:00.

If I connect the null modem cable it doesn't progess past the first lcd screen (the 'debug screen') and it does come up with lade.... at the bottom, it just hangs.

If I try and FTP it does connect. I have tried using the box IP and the user name root with passwords dbox and dbox 2 but to no avail.

I have also removed Norton from my computer and disabled the firewalls/antivirus when attempting.

I had received a prompt re my computer having two CPUs and if it;s a P4 with HT to disable it. I have ignored this as don't know how or if this would have any effect. My other computer, my laptop has two AMD. Not sure if this is causing the problem.

Regardless, this is doing my head in.

:Chainsaw:

Press dbox,settings,network check "start network on boot" is set to on
and DHCP=off then press red button to restart network then home and save settings.

In Flashfxp
site name= dbox
ip address= ip of the box
username= root
password= dbox2 or dbox
remote path= /tmp
Ip example
PC network card ip= 192.168.1.201
dbox ip= 192.168.1.202
subnetmask= 255.255.255.0 for both
Try that.

If HP is enabled this cause's a Packet error message when using dboxmanager
and it wont work.
so i think thats why IFA is not working as this includes dboxmanager as a addon
To disable "Hyperthreading Technology" reboot you pc and go into the bios setup and disable it.

Last edited:
I appreciate all your help and feel stupid for asking, but how do I go into the bios and disble the HT and once I've (hopefully) sorted the flash problem turn HT back on?

Thanks again.

Reboot the pc then you have to press a key it usually tells you which one to press
a the start of bootup in can be either the delete,f2,f8.f10 key
Then look through the menu's to locate HT.

Back