help flashing a 78 drive

dibbers

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
hey fam,

Just trying to flash a drive and its the 78 one.

i got this far

1. Open 360 Firmware Toolbox v3.0
2. Tools > Direct Drive Dump (GDR Only)
3. Choose your DVD drive from the drop-down list (there should only be one)
4. Click the button labeled "RAW Dump Firmware As ..."
5. Save the original firmware as original.bin somewhere safe
6. It will tell you that the firmware has been dumped and ask if you want to open it, select "Yes"
7. Make sure everything looks pretty normal, nothing out of the ordinary

picgq5.jpg

does this look fine....told me that there was a checksum error after stage no. 4

i'm just wondering about them ffs up the top...

shall i just use the birdy flasher for this drive ?

Last edited:
have i got the only 78 drive that can't be flashed ? lololol..

What you think then man ?

Check out over at xbox-scene.net, there's some great tutorials over there as I did mine this week. Important thing is that you have a VIA 6421 SATA controller, you can't do it without it :)

you know what mate i think you just hit the nail on the head! i had problems trying to do mine because of my chip set, i was using a pci card and i don't think it's that chipset so i couldn't do the samsung drive, i'm wondering now if the hitachi 78 is along the same lines as that and it's not campatible with the PCI card that i have.....mmmmmm i wonder.....or it's not comaptible with the flashing program....

Check out over at xbox-scene.net, there's some great tutorials over there as I did mine this week. Important thing is that you have a VIA 6421 SATA controller, you can't do it without it :)

not strictly true mate,i dont have one of those,but i can do them fine

not strictly true mate,i dont have one of those,but i can do them fine

I'm pretty sure it is true. It only applies to the MS28 drive though. After a week of research there are onlyt wo methods to flashing it. With that special sata controller, or soldering :)

I'm pretty sure it is true. It only applies to the MS28 drive though. After a week of research there are onlyt wo methods to flashing it. With that special sata controller, or soldering :)

well your contradicting yourself there mate since this thread is for the hitachi 78 drive,your recomending a chipset to some one then a couple of posts later saying its only for sammy ms28s

the chipset you mention works fine for sammys,but it isnt the only one that does it

well your contradicting yourself there mate since this thread is for the hitachi 78 drive,your recomending a chipset to some one then a couple of posts later saying its only for sammy ms28s

the chipset you mention works fine for sammys,but it isnt the only one that does it

haha sorry, got the 28 and 78 confused. Apologies again!

Back